Paul Pogba quells speculation about Manchester United future

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has said that “there will always be talk” amid ongoing speculation about his future at the club. (AFP/File Photo)
Updated 07 September 2018
0

Paul Pogba quells speculation about Manchester United future

MANCHESTER: Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has said that “there will always be talk” amid ongoing speculation about his future at the club.
The France international fell out of favor at Old Trafford last season and was linked with a return to his former club Juventus, and even a big-money move to Barcelona during the summer.
On Wednesday, Pogba further fueled rumors of his leaving when he said: “Who knows what will happen in the next few months.”
However, on Thursday, he said: “It’s not me who’s talking. I’m trying to do my job and work on myself physically.”
The World Cup winner was speaking either side of France’s 0-0 draw with Germany in their opening Uefa Nations League match on Thursday.
When asked if he was “fed up” with all the speculation, Pogba said: “I got back late (from the World Cup), so I’m trying to perform as well as possible.”
When asked if his relationship with United manager Jose Mourinho had soured, he added: “We have a pure coach-player relationship, that’s right.
“One thing I can assure you, I will always give 100% — no matter which coach I always give everything for United. I cannot say more.”
The former United youth player returned to the club after four years with Juventus, signing for a then world record £89m fee in 2016.
He was made captain for the opening two games of this year’s Premier League season in the absence of Antonio Valencia and has scored two goals so far.


Lewis Hamilton tells rivals ‘catch me if you can’

Updated 20 February 2019
0

Lewis Hamilton tells rivals ‘catch me if you can’

  • Five-time world champion feeling confident of a sixth crown ahead of new season.
  • Pre-season testing going well in Barcelona.

BARCELONA: Lewis Hamilton has warned his rivals they had better get ready to catch his dust as he is feeling “better than ever” ahead of the season.
The 34-year-old Briton enjoyed a near flawless run to secure his fifth drivers’ title last year. He won 11 of the 21 races to beat Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel with two races to spare, and he expects the Italian marque to once again keep him on his toes.
“Ferrari are very strong,” Hamilton said in Barcelona on the third day of pre-season testing.
“It appears they have a better package than last year, which means it will be a bigger challenge for us.
“In the last few years, Ferrari has looked good from the very beginning so that’s to be expected.”
But he said it would be a mistake to draw any hard and fast conclusions from the evidence thrown up by testing.
“We’ll have a better idea I guess this time next week where we stand but still then we won’t know what fuel loads everybody is on and who is showing their cars and who isn’t.”
Hamilton, with a new two-year deal that will earn him £40 million ($52 million) a season, is buzzing after the winter recess.
“I feel in the best shape that I’ve been in,” he assured his fans, as he embarks on his quest for a sixth championship and record sixth consecutive constructors’ crown for Mercedes.
On a sixth title he shrugged: “I am not even focusing on that. It’s a new season, a new year, a new chapter and we have to approach like it’s our first.
“We’re going for number one, that’s how I approach it.
“But it’s not something that I allow my peers to talk about. It’s not what we are here for to focus on that number.”
He dismissed out of hand any notion of complacency setting in at his all-conquering team.
“We are always driven to do something new and to break boundaries and do stuff that no one else has done before but we are fully aware of the work that it will take to deliver something like that and it’s by no means like ‘yeah we are going for the sixth’ like it’s a relaxed thing.
“It’s not like that.”
Hamilton’s bid for title number six begins at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 17.