Moeen Ali calls for change in ‘mentality’ after England collapse against India

India's Ishant Sharma (left) celebrates the wicket of England's Moeen Ali. (Action Images via Reuters)
Updated 08 September 2018
0

Moeen Ali calls for change in ‘mentality’ after England collapse against India

LONDON: Moeen Ali said England’s batsmen need to “change our mentality” after yet another collapse against India but remains positive about the future despite the impending retirement of opening linchpin Alastair Cook.
England’s top order has repeatedly failed to fire during the five-match Test series against India, failing to reach 400 once, and their batsmen again let them down on the first day of the fifth Test at the Oval on Friday.
The home side — with former captain Cook playing his final match — were cruising at one stage on 133 for one, with Cook and Ali at the crease.
But a flurry of wickets in the final session left them struggling at 198-7 at the close after a low-scoring day.
Moeen, who scored a watchful 50 in 170 balls before he was caught behind off the bowling of Ishant Sharma, admitted that England had issues to sort out beyond replacing Cook.
“There are obviously players who are going to come in or there’s a player that’s going to come in and try and replace Cooky, which will be very, very difficult,” he said.
“We do have these collapses but everyone that gets out is a fantastic player and we all know that they all justify being in the side. It is difficult. These things happen. It’s not just us guys, it happens around the world.”
Moeen, batting at number three after a career spent shuffling around the order, said India had bowled “fantastically well” in the series, which had made life difficult for the batsmen.
But he said he remained upbeat despite England’s batting woes.
“I’m always confident,” he said. “There’s always good players, maybe some players that you don’t know of at the moment that will turn up.
“I think there’s some very good players in county cricket who have got the ability to play but obviously we don’t want these collapses all the time and I know they’re happening but hopefully we just need to change our mentality a little bit I think.”
The all-rounder said he thought Cook, who was dismissed for 71, had been destined to make a hundred in his final Test.
“Definitely, especially when he got dropped,” he said. “I said ‘this is meant to be for you’ but unfortunately he didn’t.”
India’s Ravindra Jadeja praised the tourists’ bowlers, saying England panicked.
“Everyone bowled well,” he said. “Especially when the partnership between Moeen Ali and Alastair Cook was on, our plan was to stop the boundaries.
“Our plan was that if they didn’t get boundaries, they’d panic and play wrong shots and get out. And that’s exactly what happened.
“From there we got six wickets for 50 or so. As a bowling department, that is our idea — not to concede runs. If there’s a partnership, we will bowl in good areas. In England, if one wicket falls, you get two or three in a cluster. And that’s what happened.”
England have already won the five-match series after taking an unassailable 3-1 lead.


Michel Platini released from custody after police probe into Qatar World Cup 2022 corruption

Updated 19 June 2019
0

Michel Platini released from custody after police probe into Qatar World Cup 2022 corruption

  • French authorities haven’t announced any charges against Platini
  • The authorities also questioned a sport adviser from the previous French president’s administration

PARIS: Former UEFA president Michel Platini was released from custody in the early hours of Wednesday after being questioned as part of a corruption investigation into the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

His communication team said that Platini’s detention ended at 12:30 a.m. local time.

Platini had denied any wrongdoing and French authorities did not announce any charges against the former France and Juventus player.

“It was long, but given the number of questions it could not be different,” Platini said after his release. “They asked me questions about the 2016 Euro, the World Cup in Russia, the World Cup in Qatar, the Paris Saint-Germain, FIFA.”

*********

READ MORE: 

TIMELINE: The trail of corruption allegations surrounding the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar

Former UEFA head Platini detained in Qatar World Cup probe

*********

Also questioned Tuesday were Sophie Dion, a sports adviser in former French president Nicolas Sarkozy’s administration, and Claude Gueant, the former secretary general of the Elysee presidential palace under Sarkozy.

Ahead of the FIFA vote, Sarkozy hosted a meeting in November 2010 that brought Platini together with Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, then the crown prince of Qatar and now its ruling emir. Al-Thani also owns the French soccer club Paris Saint-Germain, and Sarkozy frequently attends its games.

Qatar beat the long-favored United States 14 to 8 when FIFA selected the host country for the 2022 World Cup

As head of European soccer’s governing body UEFA, Platini was the continent’s top representative on the FIFA committee that picked Qatar.

French prosecutors are known to be investigating an array of winning bids for major sports events, including the 2018 World Cup, awarded to Russia, the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo and track and field world championships.

They are looking into possible offences including private corruption, conspiracy and influence peddling.

The decision in December 2010 to award the World Cup to Qatar surprised many given the lack of potential local audiences for the games, the extremely hot summer weather, and the poor performance of the country's national squad. It will be the first Arab state to host the competition.

Platini is one of France's most famous sportsmen and soccer stars. He led France to victory in the 1984 European Championship and played in two World Cup semi-finals.

(With Agencies)