Backlash forces Academy rethink, postpones ‘popular film Oscar’ category

The popular film Oscar category was cancelled by the Academy after facing an overwhelming backlash. (File / Shutterstock)
Updated 08 September 2018
0

Backlash forces Academy rethink, postpones ‘popular film Oscar’ category

  • Academy cancels popular film category for 2019 ceremony amid fierce criticisms
  • The awards show will be shortened to three hours, with some presentations during commercial breaks

DUBAI: Plans for a new popular film category in the 2019 edition of the Oscars has been cancelled after the idea sparked a backlash in the movie industry, London daily Evening Standard reported.

The idea for the new category was introduced a month ago, but it instead sparked a massive backlash throughout the industry, and on Thursday the plans were shelved.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said in a statement: “Implementing any new award nine months into the year creates challenges for films that have already been released.”

And Academy Chief Executive Dawn Hudson said there was a “need for further discussion with our members.”

Announced last August, the proposal was seen as an attempt to increase the viewers of the annual awards night, which had 26.5 million viewers in the most recent ceremony, the lowest in its history.

But members of the film community instantly raised their concerns over the new category, saying it would create a two-tiered system for popular and unpopular films. Critics questioned the criteria of determining a “popular film”, with many citing Black Panther’s both commercial and critical success.

Recently, Academy voters have been choosing independent films for the “best picture” category winner over blockbuster movies from big production houses.

The film academy will go ahead with other changes it announced, including shortening the show to three hours, with about 24 awards presented during commercial breaks.

The 2019 Oscars ceremony will take place in Los Angeles on February 24.


Ethiopia’s capital to ban motorbikes in bid to curb crime spree

Updated 19 June 2019
0

Ethiopia’s capital to ban motorbikes in bid to curb crime spree

  • Addis Ababa Mayor Takele Uma said motorbikes had been used in recent crimes and the city would prohibit them from July 7
  • Takele Uma said the Addis Ababa municipal administration will also impose a ban on trips by most freight vehicles in the city during daytime

ADDIS ABABA: Ethiopia’s capital Addis Ababa plans to ban motorcycles in the city from July in a bid to curb a spree of muggings and robberies, local authorities said on Wednesday.
Addis Ababa Mayor Takele Uma said motorbikes had been used in recent crimes and the city would prohibit them from July 7 though people using bikes for business may be exempt.
“Exceptions will be made to those conducting licensed businesses with motorcycles as well as those who use motorcycles as postal carriers and motorcycles affiliated to embassies,” the mayor told journalists.
Addis Ababa, a city of an estimated five million, is generally considered safe for residents and foreigners. But a growing number of violent crimes involving suspects on motorbikes or in cars has caused alarm.
The mayor said the proposed ban came after a study of criminal activities in the city found a significant number were carried out using motorcycles.
Takele said the Addis Ababa municipal administration will also impose a ban on trips by most freight vehicles in the city during daytime to alleviate traffic congestion in the capital.