1,141,998 Hajj pilgrims have left Saudi Arabia so far, says Passport Department

Pilgrims are seen visiting a holy site in Madinah on Sunday.  Some 194,373 Hajj pilgrims were still in Madinah as of Sunday, awaiting their return flights to their home countries. (SPA)
Updated 10 September 2018
0

1,141,998 Hajj pilgrims have left Saudi Arabia so far, says Passport Department

JEDDAH: The total number of Hajj pilgrims departing via land, air and sea ports of the Kingdom has reached 1,141,998, according to the statistics issued by the Directorate General of Passports (Jawazat).

The directorate said the number of pilgrims leaving by air was 1,042,305, by land 83,339 and by sea 15,954.

The number of pilgrims who arrived in Madinah reached 553,151, while the total number remaining in Madinah is 194,373, authorities said.

Meanwhile, pilgrims who were part of the Guests of King Salman for Hajj and Umrah program has thanked the Saudi authorities for the welcome they received, and shared stories of the heartbreaking suffering and loss they have endured over the years at home.

King Salman praised the efficient organization of the Hajj, which allowed the pilgrims “to perform their duties with ease, security and reassurance in a serene environment.” The king and the crown prince also thanked Interior Minister Prince Abdul Aziz bin Saud bin Naif, head of Supreme Hajj Committee, for ensuring the successful implementation of Hajj plans.

 

 


Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

Updated 20 November 2018
0

Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

  • Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict
  • Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing the legitimate government in Yemen against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels is committed to reaching a political solution to the conflict, its spokesman confirmed on Monday.

Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths, in an address to the Security Council, had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict.

Al-Maliki explained that a meeting had been held by Yemen’s national economic committee, which included representatives from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the UK and the US.

During the meeting, several measures were taken to improve the Yemeni economy, Al-Maliki said. He also added that the coalition had facilitated a humanitarian plan for Yemen worth more than $1 billion with contributions from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait.

Regarding Houthi actions in Yemen, Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law.

He said the Houthis had planted mines at a school as well as other areas in and around Hodeidah, and destroyed a mosque in the port city.

Al-Maliki also provided evidence that the Houthis replaced contents of World Food Program packages with TNT explosives.

He added that 200 mines planted by the Houthis had been deactivated in the province of Hajjah, reiterating that the group is still using civilians as human shields and recruiting them to join their ranks.