Egypt security forces kill 11 suspected militants in Sinai

The military launched a sweeping operation in February focused on the Sinai in eastern Egypt aimed at wiping out militants. (File/AFP)
Updated 10 September 2018
0

Egypt security forces kill 11 suspected militants in Sinai

CAIRO: Egyptian security forces have killed 11 suspected militants in the Sinai Peninsula as they press a campaign against Islamist militants in the area, a security source said Monday.
The military launched a sweeping operation in February focused on the Sinai in eastern Egypt aimed at wiping out militants, including from the Daesh group, who have been waging a bloody insurgency.
“Eleven terrorist elements were killed in an exchange of fire” with security forces in El-Arish, the capital of North Sinai province, the security source said.
The militants were in an abandoned petrol station “preparing terrorist acts” against security forces, the source added.
militants launched an insurgency in Egypt after the 2013 ouster of Islamist president Muhammad Mursi, forced out by the military in the face of mass protests against his rule.
Hundreds of police and soldiers have since been killed in militants attacks.
The military says around 300 suspected jihadists and at least 35 soldiers have been killed since the February launch of the “Sinai 2018” operation.
The press is not allowed to travel freely in the area although the military organized a rare visit to El-Arish for foreign media in July.
Rights groups have repeatedly warned of the dangers the Sinai campaign poses for the area’s civilian population.
Human Rights Watch said in an April report the military push had left “up to 420,000 people in four cities in the northeast” of the peninsula in “urgent” need of humanitarian assistance.
The army insists the local population supports the campaign and receives adequate humanitarian assistance.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.