Novak Djokovic will become the greatest player ever, says defeated Juan Martin del Potro

The super Serb's victory in New York was his third US Open title and his 14th Grand Slam success. (AFP)
Updated 10 September 2018
0

Novak Djokovic will become the greatest player ever, says defeated Juan Martin del Potro

  • Argentine says Serb can overall Roger Federer's total of 14 Grand Slam titles.
  • US Open win was Djokovic's second successive Slam success after his victory at Wimbledon.

Juan Martin del Potro is certain Novak Djokovic has what it takes to become the greatest men’s player ever and beat Roger Federer’s current mark of 20 Grand Slam titles.
Djokovic clinched his third US Open title on Sunday with a 6-3, 7-6, 6-3 triumph over Del Potro, taking him level with Pete Sampras’s mark of 14 Grand Slams.
The 31-year-old Serb is now just three behind Rafael Nadal and six back from Federer, and Del Potro is convinced he has what it takes to end up with more Slam successes than both those all-time greats.
“Of course he can,” the Argentine said when asked if Djokovic can claim the record over Federer. “He has 14 already. He won two Grand Slams in one year. He’s healthy. He has a great team working with him.
“Hopefully him, Rafa, Roger will still fight for Grand Slams, because it is so nice to watch them fighting for the history.
“We just do what we can against them. But Novak has everything to make records.”
While not being drawn on whether he could end up with more Grand Slams than Federer and Nadal, Djokovic did credit the deadly duo for making him the player he is today.
“Maybe 10 years ago I would say I’m not so happy to be part of this era with Nadal and Federer,” the 31-year-old said. “Today I really am. I feel like these guys, rivalries with these guys, matches with Federer and Nadal, have made me the player I am, have shaped me into the player I am today.
“I owe it to them.”


Morocco could be part of joint bid to host 2030 World Cup with Spain and Portugal

Updated 20 November 2018
0

Morocco could be part of joint bid to host 2030 World Cup with Spain and Portugal

  • Morocco beaten by US, Canada and Mexico bid to host 2026 World Cup.
  • Spanish PM says King Mohammed VI 'welcomed the proposal warmly.'

RABAT: Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said on Monday that he had pitched the idea of a joint bid between his country, Portugal and Morocco to host the 2030 World Cup.
“I made the proposal, firstly to the government then to King Mohammed VI to launch a shared application with Morocco, Portugal and Spain to host the 2030 World Cup,” Sanchez said in Rabat after a meeting with the monarch.
“It will be the first two-continent application, with Europe and Africa, and King Mohammed VI welcomed the proposal warmly.”
Earlier this year the King ordered the Royal Moroccan Football Federation to launch their own World Cup bid but the office of the Moroccan prime minister, Saad Eddine el Othmani, refused to comment on Sanchez’s statement when contacted by AFP.
The north African country has failed five times to bring the tournament to the southern shores of the Mediterranean, with the United States, Canada and Mexico most recently beating them to the 2026 competition.
Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay have proposed a bid to coordinate the 2030 event, which will mark 100 years since the first tournament.
Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia are also considering a joint bid, as are the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
The official bidding process is set to being in 2020.