Robert Redford bids farewell to acting with throwback crime caper

Actor Robert Redford arrives for the international premiere of The Old Man & the Gun at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in Toronto, Canada, September 10, 2018. (Reuters)
Updated 11 September 2018
0

Robert Redford bids farewell to acting with throwback crime caper

  • Redford, 81, plays a charming, real-life bank robber who was caught 17 times during the course of a 60 year crime career
  • Movies like “All the President’s Men,” “The Sting” and “Out of Africa” turned Redford into one of the biggest stars of the 1970s and 1980s

TORONTO: Robert Redford bowed out on Monday from a 50-year acting career, calling what he has said will be his final movie “a wonderful film to go out on.”
The Toronto Film Festival audience erupted with applause after the screening of comedy caper “The Old Man & the Gun” in which Redford, 81, plays a charming, real-life bank robber who was caught 17 times during the course of a 60 year crime career but who managed to escape from jail every time.
“I’ve always been attracted with the idea of outlaws since I was a kid and I played that out in my work a lot, so this just followed suit,” the “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” star said.
“It’s just an upbeat film. It’s a true story. It’s a wonderful film to go out on,” he said.
Redford said last month that he would retire from acting after the release of “The Old Man & the Gun.” He has said he wants to spend more time on art — his first love — and plans to continue directing.
Movies like “All the President’s Men,” “The Sting” and “Out of Africa” turned Redford into one of the biggest stars of the 1970s and 1980s but despite winning a directing Oscar for “Ordinary People” in 1980, he has never won an Academy Award for acting.
Director David Lowery said “The Old Man & the Gun” was “a spiritual successor” to the movies that made Redford a star and that he shot the movie in the style of 1970s crime films.
Asked to sum up Redford’s appeal, Lowery said that the actor’s voice and face on camera had a quality that “can captivate you like nothing else.”
“He has it and very few people do,” Lowery said.
“The Old Man & the Gun,” which also stars Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover and Casey Affleck, opens in US movie theaters on Sept. 28.


Missing ‘Picasso’ thought found in Romania a hoax: report

In this Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2012 file photo, the empty space where Henri Matisse' painting "La Liseuse en Blanc et Jaune" was hanging, right, is seen next to a painting by Maurice Denis, center, and Pierre Bonnard, left, at Kunsthal museum in Rotterdam, Netherlands. (AP)
Updated 19 November 2018
0

Missing ‘Picasso’ thought found in Romania a hoax: report

  • Romanian authorities said that it “might be” Picasso’s painting, which is estimated to be worth 800,000 euros ($915,000)

THE HAGUE: A writer who thought she had found a masterpiece by Pablo Picasso stolen in an infamous art heist six years ago said Sunday she was the victim of a “publicity stunt,” the NOS Dutch public newscaster reported.
Picasso’s “Harlequin Head” was one of seven celebrated paintings stolen from the Kunsthal Museum in Rotterdam, The Netherlands in 2012 during a daring robbery local media dubbed “the theft of the century.”
The artworks have not been seen since.
Around 10 days ago, Mira Feticu, a Dutch writer of Romanian origin who wrote a novel based on the heist, was sent an anonymous letter.
“I received a letter in Romanian with instructions regarding the place where the painting was hidden,” she told AFP.
The instructions led her to a forest in eastern Romania where she dug up an artwork.
Romanian authorities, who received the canvas on Saturday night, said that it “might be” Picasso’s painting, which is estimated to be worth 800,000 euros ($915,000). Experts were checking whether it was authentic.
However on Sunday night Feticu told NOS that she was the victim of a performance by two Belgian directors in Antwerp.
Feticu said she received an email from the Belgian duo explaining that the letter was part of a project called “True Copy” dedicated to the notorious Dutch forger Geert Jan Jansen, whose fakes flooded the art collections of Europe and beyond until he was caught in 1994.
“Part of this performance was prepared in silence in the course of the past few months, with a view to bringing back Picasso’s ‘Tete d’Arlequin’,” the directors wrote on their website.
Their production company “currently wishes to abstain from any comment” because it first wants to speak Fetuci, the statement said.
“We will be back with more details on this issue within the next few days.”