Abu Dhabi-owned Manchester City set sights on more glory after breaking through £500 million revenue barrier

1 / 2
City won their their title in six years in May, they have now set their sights on breaking their Champions League duck. (AFP)
2 / 2
Updated 13 September 2018
0

Abu Dhabi-owned Manchester City set sights on more glory after breaking through £500 million revenue barrier

  • Manchester City become only second English club to record annual revenues over £500 million
  • City chairman wants clubs dominate for years to come.

LONDON: Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al-Mubarak said the club will “strive for more” after they announced annual revenues of £500 million ($655 million) for the first time on Thursday.
The annual report said last season’s runaway Premier League champions had enjoyed revenues of £500.5 million — a 44 percent increase in five years.
It also said highlighted a fourth successive profitable year — this time £10.4 million with a wage to revenue ratio at “a healthy” 52 percent.
“Our aim is obviously to build on the achievements of the last year,” Al-Mubarak (pictured below), City’s chairman since the club was bought by the Abu Dhabi United Group in 2008, said in a statement. “We will always strive for more.
“Our journey is not complete and we have more targets to fulfil.”


According to the report, City’s income has increased six-fold in the past decade and they have risen from 20th to fifth in European clubs’ revenues league table.
The club’s facilities have also been transformed with state-of-the-art training facilities.
On the pitch they are also thriving with former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola having taken City to the title last season with 100 points — the first club to achieve that total.
“Most of the developments visible today are the result of a carefully crafted strategy — one in which organic evolution has also been allowed to thrive,” Al-Mubarak said.
“The 2017-18 season will go down in history because of the incredible football we all witnessed. We are filled with an extraordinary sense of pride in the hard work of Pep Guardiola, the players, and the staff who work tirelessly to support them.”


Seeds tumble in Miami as Roger Federer remains on course for Novak Djokovic final

Updated 20 min 2 sec ago
0

Seeds tumble in Miami as Roger Federer remains on course for Novak Djokovic final

LONDON: It was a weekend of shocks in both the men’s and women’s tournament at the Miami Open as world No. 1 Naomi Osaka was beaten, Serena Williams was forced to withdraw and Alexander Zverev fell to wildcard David Ferrer.
Elsewhere, Roger Federer kept the prospect of a matchup in the final with Novak Djokovic with a win over Radu Albot.
The Miami Open might have moved to a brand new location for this year, but Miami Gardens is already building a reputation as a seeds’ graveyard.
Williams withdrew on Saturday, blaming a previously undisclosed left knee injury. And less than two hours later, top seed Osaka lost to Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
Osaka’s shock exit equaled the record for the earliest ever in Miami by a top-seeded woman and, depending on results in the rest of the tournament, could see her lose her top spot in the world rankings.
“I feel like I’ve dealt with the stress of people asking me do I have pressure because I have the No. 1 next to my name,” Osaka said. “I thought I was doing fine with that, but I guess I’m not.”
She smiled when reminded it was the first time in 64 matches she lost after winning the first set.
“I know, it’s depressing,” she said. “I was thinking about it right after I lost.”
Osaka, 21, has won the past two Grand Slam tournaments.
Meanwhile, Williams’ withdrawal was surprising, having shown no signs of injury a day earlier while winning her opening match against Rebecca Peterson. Williams did not mention any injury problems during a news conference after the match, and the WTA had no information regarding when she was hurt.
Williams’ victory on Friday was her first at the Hard Rock Stadium, the Miami Open’s new center court. The tournament moved this year from Key Biscayne, where Williams has previously won eight titles.
“I am disappointed to withdraw,” she said in a statement. “It was an amazing experience to play at Hard Rock Stadium this year, and I would like to thank the Miami Open for putting on an amazing event. I hope to be back next year to play at this one-of-a-kind tournament in front of the incredible fans here in Miami.”
Williams, 37, still hasn’t won a tournament since the 2017 Australian Open, before she took a break of more than a year to become a mother. She has played only eight matches this year.
Williams’ stay at the Miami Open was also brief last year, when she lost in the first round to Osaka. Friday’s match was Williams’ first since she retired from Indian Wells two weeks ago because of a viral illness.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer briefly seemed headed for the exit but instead advanced to the third round by rallying past qualifier Radu Albot 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
“Radu put me through the ringer,” Federer said.
Federer, a three-time champion, lost serve only once — in the first game — but was on the ropes until he swept the final three games, to the relief of an enthusiastic stadium crowd.
“It was a great atmosphere,” Federer said. “It was electric. I think that’s why I played so well at the end.
“I’m happy I got it out of the way. I’m happy I was able to find a way tonight,” the 23-time Grand Slam winner said.
But there was no joy for second seed Alexander Zverev, who double-faulted 12 times on his way to losing against Ferrer, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.
Ferrer was delighted with taking the scalp of the German.
“It means a lot, it’s a special day because it’s the last year of professional tennis for me. Winning these type of matches against a top 10 player like Sascha is a gift. I’m very happy and I’m trying to enjoy every point and every moment.
“My motivation is playing at a high level and be competitive. It’s my goal. I can’t play at my best level anymore, but I want to have good energy and play my best in every match,” he said.