Palestinian killed by Israeli fire in new Gaza clashes: ministry

1 / 3
Palestinian protesters gather during a demonstration along the Israeli border fence east of Gaza City on September 21, 2018. (AFP)
2 / 3
Palestinian protesters stand by as tear gas canisters fired by Israeli forces fall amidst them in clashes during a demonstration along the Israeli fence east of Gaza City on September 21, 2018. (AFP)
3 / 3
Tihs picture taken on September 21, 2018 shows Palestinian protesters during clashes with Israeli forces following a demonstration along the Israeli barbed-wire border fence east of Gaza City. (AFP)
Updated 21 September 2018
0

Palestinian killed by Israeli fire in new Gaza clashes: ministry

  • A Palestinian was killed by Israeli fire in new clashes along the Gaza border on Friday.
  • More than 100 other people were wounded, the spokesman said.

GAZA CITY: A Palestinian was killed by Israeli fire in new clashes along the Gaza border on Friday, the health ministry in the Hamas-controlled territory said.
A spokesman for the ministry told AFP the man, whose identity was not yet known, was killed during protests east of Gaza City.
More than 100 other people were wounded, the spokesman said.
Palestinians have been demonstrating along the border for months in often violent protests that have seen at least 185 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire since March 30.
One Israeli soldier has been killed by a Palestinian sniper.
AFP correspondents said Friday's clashes were more ferocious than in recent weeks.
The Israeli army said more than 10,000 people had gathered in several locations along the border on Friday evening.
"The rioters are hurling grenades and explosive devices, burning tires and hurling rocks at (Israeli) troops and the security fence," it said.
It added that its forces were responding with live fire "in accordance with standard operating procedures."

 

 


Syria flare-up kills 35 fighters, including 26 pro-regime forces

Updated 19 min 47 sec ago
0

Syria flare-up kills 35 fighters, including 26 pro-regime forces

  • Russian-backed regime forces try to retake villages seized by opposition forces and allied fighters
  • The clashes also left 26 pro-regime forces dead in the north of Hama province

 

BEIRUT: At least 10 civilians and 35 combatants, mostly pro-regime forces, were killed on Saturday in clashes and airstrikes that erupted at dawn in northwestern Syria, a war monitor said.

The flare-up came as Russian-backed regime forces tried to retake two villages seized by opposition forces and allied fighters earlier this month, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

“Since this morning, the Syrian regime and allied fighters have launched five failed attempts to regain control of Jibine and Tal Maleh in northwestern Hama province,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

Syrian regime airstrikes killed nine opposition fighters, the war monitor said.

Ensuing clashes in the north of Hama province left 26 pro-regime forces dead, including eight who were killed in a mine explosion, the Observatory said.

In neighboring Idlib, regime airstrikes killed 10 civilians, including three children, the Observatory said.

The strikes hit the towns of Maaret Al-Numan and Al-Bara as well as the village of Al-Ftira, according to the war monitor.

The Idlib region of some 3 million people is supposed to be protected from a massive regime offensive by a buffer zone deal that Russia and Turkey signed in September.

But it was never fully implemented, as opposition refused to withdraw from a planned demilitarized zone.

In January, the Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham alliance led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate extended its administrative control over the region, which includes most of Idlib province as well as adjacent slivers of Latakia, Hama and Aleppo provinces.

The Syrian regime and Russia have upped their bombardment of the region since late April, killing nearly 400 civilians, according to the Observatory.

Turkey said on Friday that it did not accept Russia’s “excuse” that it had no ability to stop the Syrian regime’s continued bombardments in the last opposition bastion of Idlib.

“In Syria, who are the regime’s guarantors? Russia and Iran,” Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told state news agency Anadolu in a televised interview.

“Thus we do not accept the excuse that ‘We cannot make the regime listen to us’,” he said.

His comments came as Turkey disagreed with Russia earlier this week after Moscow claimed a new cease-fire had been secured in the province following weeks of regime bombardments — a claim that was denied by Ankara.

Syria’s war has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the repression of anti-regime protests.

Russia launched a military intervention in support of the regime in 2015, helping its forces reclaim large parts of the country from opposition fighters and militants.