Powerful typhoon kills two, snarls transport for thousands in Japan

Pedestrians carry a bag as they walk against a strong wind after Typhoon Trami hit the city of Kagoshima on Kyushu island on September 30, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 01 October 2018
0

Powerful typhoon kills two, snarls transport for thousands in Japan

  • Aerial footage on NHK showed hundreds of people waiting outside train stations, with several major commuter lines closed since Sunday

TOKYO: A powerful typhoon brought down trees onto railroad tracks and kicked up debris across Tokyo as it brushed past the Japanese capital early on Monday, killing two people and stranding thousands as train lines were closed or severely delayed.
Typhoon Trami made landfall in western Japan on Sunday evening and threatened heavy rains, strong winds and landslides on the northern-most main island of Hokkaido, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The island was hit by a deadly earthquake last month.
The typhoon, rated by Tropical Storm Risk as a category 1, the lowest on a five-point scale, killed two people and injured almost 130, public broadcaster NHK said.
Another two people were missing, it said, and almost 400,000 households were without power.
Aerial footage on NHK showed hundreds of people waiting outside train stations, with several major commuter lines closed since Sunday. More than 230 flights were canceled, mainly in northern Japan, NHK said.
Kansai International Airport in Osaka in western Japan said it had opened its runways as scheduled at 6 a.m. (2100 GMT Sunday), after being closed since 11 a.m. on Sunday.
The airport had only fully reopened on Sept. 21 after being heavily flooded earlier that month by Typhoon Jebi, the most powerful storm to hit Japan in 25 years.


11 dead, 50 rescued after India building collapse

Updated 4 min 38 sec ago
0

11 dead, 50 rescued after India building collapse

  • Many firms use cheap materials and bribe officials to evade regulations, while on-site safety is lax
  • Police have charged the builder with manslaughter but he remains free

NEW DELHI: Eleven people were confirmed dead on Thursday three days after a building under construction in southern India caved in, officials said.
Building collapses are frequent in India. Many firms use cheap materials and bribe officials to evade regulations, while on-site safety is lax.
Around 400 rescuers have been scouring through tons concrete and steel after the latest tragedy in Karnataka state on Tuesday.
Fifty-three people have been rescued from the rubble of the five-story building in Dharwad district, but three more bodies were pulled out on Thursday.
“At least 15 people are possibly still under the debris and it’s unlikely they will survive,” emergency official Srikant, who goes by one name, told AFP.
Heavy earth-movers and rescuers with specialized equipment and sniffer dogs were deployed in the increasingly desperate operation.
The victims were mostly from northern Indian states who came to the region for work.
Police have charged the builder with manslaughter but he remains free, with investigators saying he will be arrested after the rescue operation is over.
Last September, five people were killed after a Delhi apartment block collapsed. Months earlier, a six-story building in the capital had given way, killing nine.
Millions of Indians, who will vote in elections in April and May, live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain.