Joint Saudi-Tunisian air drills conclude at Bizerte airbase 

The exercises, which began on Monday, are part of the annual Ministry of Defense training plans for the Saudi armed forces. (SPA)
Updated 11 October 2018
0

Joint Saudi-Tunisian air drills conclude at Bizerte airbase 

JEDDAH: The first joint exercises between Saudi-Tunisian air forces concluded on Wednesday.

The Commander of the Saudi Royal Air Force, Lt Gen. Prince Turki bin Bandar, has patronized the conclusion of the joint exercises at Sidi Ahmed Air Base in Bizerte.

The closing ceremony included joint air-to-air combat aircraft from both sides, which carried out a number of air-military formations.

The Saudi commander delivered a speech during which he conveyed greetings extended from Saudi King Salman, Commander-in-Chief of all military forces and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman. 

Earlier, the Tunisian government announced that its air forces have held the training "to increase the combat readiness of pilots and exchange experiences in the fields of logistics and technical support."

The exercises, which began on Monday, are part of the annual Ministry of Defense training plans for the Saudi armed forces. 


Saudi Arabia says missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead

Updated 20 October 2018
0

Saudi Arabia says missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead

  • The journalist died after a fistfight at the consulate in Istanbul
  • Deputy intelligence chief, royal court adviser removed from positions, 18 Saudis arrested

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia announced on Saturday the death of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying a preliminary investigation indicated he lost his life after a fight at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
“The discussions between Jamal Khashoggi and those he met at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul... devolved into a fistfight, leading to his death,” the Saudi Press Agency said, citing the public prosecutor.
Eighteen Saudis have been arrested in connection with the incident and the investigation is ongoing, the public prosecutor said.
“The Kingdom expresses its deep regret at the painful developments that have taken place and stresses the commitment of the authorities in the Kingdom to bring the facts to the public opinion, to hold all those involved accountable and bring them to justice,” a statement on the SPA said.
Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the consulate to complete paperwork related to his divorce.
Deputy intelligence chief Ahmed Al-Asiri was removed from his position and Saud Al-Qahtani from his advisory role at the Royal Court, through royal decrees.
Three other intelligence officials who were also sacked have been named as Mohammad bin Saleh Al-Rumaih, Abdullah bin Khalifa Al-Shaya and Rashad bin Hamed Al-Muhamadi.
King Salman also ordered the creation of a ministerial committee, headed by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to restructure the country’s General Intelligence agency and issue the results of its work within a month.
Members of the committee include the interior and foreign ministers as well as the heads of the General Intelligence and State Security.
A team of Saudi investigators were sent to Istanbul and have been working on the case with Turkish detectives, who entered the consulate on Thursday.
Earlier in the week, Saudi Arabia promised a thorough and transparent investigation into what happened to the journalist in Turkey.