UAE to try British student on spying charges: reports

A handout picture released by the family of Matthew Hedges via the Detained in Dubai organisation on October 11, 2018 shows British student Matthew Hedges (R) and his wife Daniela Tejada (L) posing in an undisclosed location. (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2018
0

UAE to try British student on spying charges: reports

  • He is to stand trial in Abu Dhabi “on charges of spying for a foreign country..."
  • The attorney general said said the charges were “based on legal evidence and findings from investigations"

ABU DHABI: The United Arab Emirates is to try a British PhD student detained in May on charges of spying, local media reported Monday.
Matthew Hedges, a 31-year-old who was researching the UAE’s foreign and internal security policies after the 2011 Arab Spring revolutions, was detained at Dubai airport on May 5.
He is to stand trial in the Emirati capital of Abu Dhabi “on charges of spying for a foreign country, jeopardizing the military, political and economic security of the state,” attorney general Hamad Al-Shamsi said, quoted by local media.
Shamsi, without giving a trial date, said the charges were “based on legal evidence and findings from investigations that were carried out by the public prosecution.”
Hedges had been posing as a researcher to cover his activities, he said, adding that the accusations were backed by “information taken from his electronic devices.”
British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt told AFP last week that he was “very worried” about Hedges’ fate.
The detainee’s wife Daniela Tejada, who has visited him once and spoken to him on the phone several times, said he was expected to appear in court on October 24.
Her husband, held in solitary confinement, was “a man of integrity and principle. He has a brilliant academic mind... He is kind and caring and greatly loved and respected. Please send him home.”
Tejada said last week that his research involved only open resources.
“He’s not disclosed anything... classified or confidential,” she said, adding that Hedges had lived in the UAE for “several years” before he returned to Britain in 2015.


Libya reopens Tripoli’s only functioning airport

Updated 25 min 42 sec ago
0

Libya reopens Tripoli’s only functioning airport

  • Mitiga airport was closed earlier in the day when residents reported an air strike on the Libyan capital
  • Mitiga airport offers air links to a city of an estimated 2.5 million residents

TRIPOLI: Libya has reopened Tripoli’s only functioning airport, aviation authorities said on a post on social media on Sunday.

Mitiga airport was closed earlier in the day when residents reported an air strike on the Libyan capital, but a later Facebook post noted the arrival of an African Airlines aircraft from Istanbul.

A Reuters reporter and several residents said they saw an aircraft circling for more than 10 minutes over the capital late on Saturday, and that it made a humming sound before opening fire on several areas.

An aircraft was heard again after midnight, circling for more than ten minutes before a heavy explosion shook the ground.

.

It was not clear whether an aircraft or unmanned drone was behind the strike, which triggered heavy anti-aircraft fire. Residents had reported drone strikes in recent days, but there has been no confirmation and explosions heard in the city center this time were louder than in previous days.

Residents counted several missile strikes, one of which apparently hit a military camp of forces loyal to Tripoli in the Sabaa district in the south of the capital, scene of the heaviest fighting between the rival forces.

Authorities earlier closed Tripoli’s only functioning airport, cutting air links to a city of an estimated 2.5 million residents. The airport in Misrata, a city 200 km to the east, remained open.

The Libyan National Army (LNA) force loyal to commander Khalifa Haftar started an offensive two weeks ago but has been unable to breach the government’s southern defenses.

If a drone strike was confirmed this would point to more sophisticated warfare. The LNA has so far mainly used aging Soviet-made jets from the air force of Muammar Qaddafi, toppled in 2011, lacking precision firepower and helicopters, according to residents and military sources.

The violence spiked after the White House said on Friday that US President Donald Trump spoke by telephone with Haftar earlier in the week.

The disclosure of the call and a US statement that it “recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources” has boosted the commander’s supporters and enraged his opponents.

Western powers have been divided over a push by Haftar’s forces to seize Tripoli, undermining calls by the United Nations for a cease-fire.

Both sides claimed progress in southern Tripoli on Saturday, but no more details were immediately available.

A Reuters TV cameraman visiting the southern Khalat Furgan suburb heard heavy shelling but saw no apparent change in the frontline.

On Friday, two children were killed in shelling in southern Tripoli, residents said. The fighting has killed 227 people and wounded 1,128, the World Health organization said before the air strikes.

On Thursday, both the United States and Russia said they could not support a UN Security Council resolution calling for a cease-fire in Libya at this time.

Russia objects to the British-drafted resolution blaming Haftar for the latest flare-up in violence when his LNA advanced to the outskirts of Tripoli earlier this month, diplomats said.

The United States did not give a reason for its decision not to support the draft resolution, which would also call on countries with influence over the warring parties to ensure compliance and for unconditional humanitarian aid access in Libya.