Israel says troops kill Palestinian after attempted stabbing

Members of the Israeli security forces take position during clashes over an Israeli order to shut down a Palestinian school in the town of as-Sawiyah, south of Nablus in the occupied West Bank on October 15, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2018
0

Israel says troops kill Palestinian after attempted stabbing

  • Also Monday, the Israeli army ordered a nearby Palestinian school closed following alleged stone-throwing protests, firing tear gas and stun grenades to clear out the building.
  • Over the weekend, a Palestinian woman was killed after being hit in the face with a stone thrown at her car.

JERUSALEM: Israeli troops on Monday shot and killed a Palestinian man who allegedly tried to stab a soldier in the northern West Bank, the military said.
The military said the alleged attacker did not wound any soldiers before he was spotted and shot.
The incident came as security forces continued to search for a Palestinian who shot and killed two Israelis in a West Bank industrial park last week. The military notified the man’s family on Monday that it intends to demolish his home in response to the attack.
The area has experienced an uptick in violence since last week’s shooting.
Also Monday, the Israeli army ordered a nearby Palestinian school closed following alleged stone-throwing protests, firing tear gas and stun grenades to clear out the building.
The military said Monday it declared the 500-student school in Sawyeh a closed military zone in response to a “large number of popular terror acts.” But students defied the order and came to classes with their families, backed by the Palestinian education minister.
Troops fired tear gas and stun grenades into the school early Monday, sending students and their families scrambling out of the building.
The army did not say when the school would reopen.
Over the weekend, a Palestinian woman was killed after being hit in the face with a stone thrown at her car — an attack the Palestinians have blamed on Israeli settlers.
Last week, a Palestinian assailant stabbed an Israeli soldier in the same area.


Houthi militia ‘must respect neutrality of aid workers’

Updated 8 min 38 sec ago
0

Houthi militia ‘must respect neutrality of aid workers’

  • The recommendations came as UN monitors try to strengthen a cease-fire in the port of Hodeidah
  • Houthis were blamed for an attack on a UN convey on Thursday

 NEW YORK: UN experts monitoring sanctions against Yemen are recommending that the Security Council urge the Houthis to respect the neutrality and independence of humanitarian workers.

The Associated Press has obtained the nine recommendations the panel of experts made in their latest report to the council.

The recommendations came as UN monitors try to strengthen a cease-fire in the port of Hodeidah, key to the delivery of 70 percent of Yemen’s imports and humanitarian aid, and arrange a withdrawal of rival forces from the area agreed to by the government and the Houthis on Dec. 13.

While the agreement in Stockholm was limited, if fully implemented it could offer a potential breakthrough in Yemen’s four-year civil war.

The experts asked the Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against Yemen to engage with Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’s office, Yemen’s government and donors to “enhance” the UN mission inspecting vessels heading to ports in Yemen for illegal arms so it can “identify networks using false documentation to evade inspection.”

They also suggested that Guterres organize a conference with the International Monetary Fund and World Bank as well as other “key actors to best manage cash flows and imports of goods,” using the principles of the UN Global Compact on how companies should conduct business.

And the experts recommended that the secretary-general ask the UN inspection mission and monitors at the port of Hodeidah “to share information on potential cases of acts that threaten the peace, stability and security of Yemen,” including violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, the UN arms embargo, and obstructions of humanitarian assistance.

The experts also asked the sanctions committee to consider sending three letters. One would be to Abu Al-Abbas, a militia commander in the flashpoint city of Taiz, asking him to transfer artifacts and items from the Taiz National Museum in his custody to Yemen’s government. 

A second would be to alert the International Maritime Organization to “the risks posed by anti-ship cruise missiles and water-borne improvised explosive devices in the Red Sea and to encourage it to discuss these threats with the commercial shipping industry with the aim of developing suitable precautions and countermeasures.”

The third would be to alert the International Civil Aviation Organization of the risks posed by drones and munitions to civil aviation, particularly near busy international airports on the Arabian Peninsula “and encourage it to discuss these threats with airport operators and airlines with the aim of developing suitable precautions and countermeasures.”