One dead as storm slams Oman and Yemen

At least one person was killed when tropical storm Luban slammed into the southern coasts of Oman and neighboring Yemen, Omani civil defense said Monday. (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2018
0

One dead as storm slams Oman and Yemen

  • Schools in southern Oman were closed last week as the storm gathered strength in the Arabian Sea
  • The man was found dead late Sunday in a valley in the province of Dhofar

ADEN: At least one person was killed when tropical storm Luban slammed into the southern coasts of Oman and neighboring Yemen, Omani civil defense said Monday.
The man was found dead late Sunday in a valley in the province of Dhofar, which borders eastern Yemen, the sultanate’s civil defense said.
News of the death came as a Yemeni official warned the storm had left the country’s eastern province of Mahra in “disaster.”
The area was a “disaster because of the torrential rains that hit the province and caused great losses to public and private property,” said Mahra governor Rajeh Bakrit, quoted by the official Saba news agency.
“The situation is catastrophic in the province and beyond the capabilities of the local authorities,” Bakrit said, calling on a Saudi-led coalition backing the internationally recognized government in Yemen’s war to step in and provide support.
For his part, Yemeni Prime Minister Ahmed bin Dagher called on international relief organizations to assist the eastern province.
Schools in southern Oman were closed last week as the storm gathered strength in the Arabian Sea.
But Oman’s Public Authority for Civil Aviation downgraded Luban from cyclone to tropical storm as it drew nearer to the coast.
In May, Cyclone Mekunu smashed into the Yemeni island of Socotra and southern Oman, killing at least 11 people.
The cyclone had isolated parts of Socotra island — part of a UNESCO-protected archipelago for its rich biodiversity — with the government also declaring it a “disaster” zone.


Daesh claims Syria attack that killed 14, including 2 US soldiers

Updated 24 min 32 sec ago
0

Daesh claims Syria attack that killed 14, including 2 US soldiers

  • Seven civilians died in the attack, while 10 others were wounded
  • A member of the US-led military was killed, and another was severely injured

BEIRUT: A blast struck near a US-led coalition patrol in Syria’s northern city of Manbij on Wednesday, and a war monitor said 14 people were killed including two Americans.
An Daesh-affiliated web site, Amaq, said an attacker with an explosive vest had struck a foreign military patrol in a suicide attack.
Reuters could not independently verify a report by the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights that 14 people had been killed in the attack including two US soldiers. The coalition could not be immediately reached for comment.
Last month, US President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 US troops from Syria after concluding Daesh had been defeated there. The announcement rattled allies in the region and top US officials, including Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis who quit.
Two witnesses described Wednesday’s blast to Reuters. The US-backed, Kurdish-led Manbij Military Council militia that controls the town said there was preliminary information that people had been injured in Wednesday’s attack.
Manbij has been held by US-backed fighters allied to the Kurdish YPG militia since they took it from Daesh in 2016. It is located near areas held by Russian-backed Syrian government forces and by anti-Assad fighters backed by Turkey.
One of the witnesses said there was a “heavy” presence of military aircraft over Manbij following the blast, which took place near a vegetable market.