Saudi delegation in Egypt for key conference

Al-Othaimeen is head of a Saudi delegation. (AFP)
Updated 16 October 2018
0

Saudi delegation in Egypt for key conference

  • Al-Othaimeen thanked the Egyptian president for his patronage of the conference

JEDDAH: Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received OIC Secretary-General Dr. Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen in Cairo on Monday. 

Al-Othaimeen is head of a Saudi delegation in the Egyptian capital, which is participating in the 4th Islamic Conference of Ministers for Water in the OIC member countries.

El-Sisi urged the participants of the event to come up with positive results and solutions to water problems in the Islamic world.

Al-Othaimeen thanked the Egyptian president for his patronage of the conference, stressing that there are proposals and serious solutions to be discussed at the conference.

During his speech, Al-Othaimeen said the event will help in raising awareness among the OIC member states, as it contributes to the achievement and objectives of the OIC on the major issue of water.

The event aims to promote innovations to address serious water-related issues in unconventional ways, using modern technology and by supporting and implementing integrated water management.

The conference is being organized by the Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation.

 


Turkey sentences detained judge who won human rights award to 10 years

Updated 45 min 32 sec ago
0

Turkey sentences detained judge who won human rights award to 10 years

  • The Council of Europe human rights body in 2017 gave Arslan, who was detained at the time, the Vaclav Havel Human Rights Prize
  • The decision prompted Turkey to say it would cut back its funding to the body

ANKARA: A Turkish court sentenced a judge who previously won an award for human rights to 10 years in prison over links to the network Ankara says orchestrated an attempted coup in 2016, the state-owned Anadolu news agency said on Friday.
Murat Arslan, who has been detained for 22 months, was convicted of membership in an armed terrorist organization, after prosecutors charged him with use of the encrypted messaging app ByLock, Anadolu said.
Arslan has denied the charges and said any evidence that he had used the app was “fabricated,” Anadolu said.
The government says the outlawed app was widely used by followers of the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom it blames for the attempted coup that saw rogue soldiers commandeer tanks and aircraft, attacking parliament and killing some 250 unarmed civilians.
Gulen, a former ally of President Tayyip Erdogan who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since 1999, has condemned the coup and denied any involvement with it.
The Council of Europe human rights body in 2017 gave Arslan, who was detained at the time, the Vaclav Havel Human Rights Prize, a decision that prompted Turkey to say it would cut back its funding to the body.
Arslan was the former head of Turkey’s Judges and Prosecutors Union, a civil legal association that was shut down by government decree in the wide crackdown that followed the coup attempt.
Since the failed coup, authorities have formally arrested some 77,000 people and sacked or suspended more than 150,000 soldiers, civil servants and more over alleged links to the coup attempt, including alleged users of ByLock.
Rights groups and Turkey’s Western allies have voiced concern over the scale of the crackdown, saying President Tayyip Erdogan was using the putsch as a pretext to quash dissent.
The government, however, says the security measures are necessary due to the gravity of the threat it faces from Gulen’s network.