Enable eyes more history as fantastic filly bids for Breeders' Cup glory

Frankie Dettori rode Enable to Arc history, becoming only the seventh horse to win the famous race twice. (AFP)
Updated 16 October 2018
0

Enable eyes more history as fantastic filly bids for Breeders' Cup glory

  • No horse has ever won the Arc and Breeders' Cup in the same season.
  • The last Arc winner to win again in the same season was All Along, way back in 1983.

LONDON: Two-time Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner Enable will bid for yet more history after it was announced she is to run in the Breeders' Cup Turf next month.

Two weeks ago the Saudi Arabian-owned filly became only the seventh double winner of the Arc. Straight after the famous race at Longchamps in Paris it was mooted that Enable, owned by Prince Khalid Abdullah, would aim to become the first home to win a hat-trick of Arcs. 

But while that still may happen Teddy Grimthrorpe, racing manager for Khalid Abdullah, revealed the filly will first try to become the first winner of both the Arc and Breeders' Cup in the same season. 

In a statement Grimthorpe said: “Prince Khalid has given the go ahead for Enable to run in the Breeders’ Cup Turf, Group One. No decisions on her future will be made until after the race.

“(Enable) is an extraordinary athlete.”

The last Arc winner to win again in the same season was All Along, way back in 1983. Trained by Patrick Biancone and ridden by Walter Swinburn, she won the Canadian International a couple of weeks' later.

The John Gosden-trained horse won her second Arc under Frankie Dettori earlier this month. And Gosden admitted there had been some debate as to whether the the four-year-old would defend her Paris crown. 

“I was pretty anxious going into it as we lost a week. Losing a filly for five days that should be cantering and working knocks you back and we went back to where we were before the Kempton race.

“You lose the benefit of having a run and she missed her main work. It was a bit nip and tuck.”

 


Rumors Saudi crown prince buying Manchester United ‘completely false’: government minister

Updated 3 min 14 sec ago
0

Rumors Saudi crown prince buying Manchester United ‘completely false’: government minister

  • Rumors claiming the  Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman wanted to buy UK football club Manchester United are “completely false”
  • The rumors that emerged in UK media reported that the crown prince tabled a $4.9 billion bid for the 13-time premier league winning team

DUBAI: Rumors claiming the  Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman wanted to buy UK football club Manchester United are “completely false,” Saudi Arabia’s Minster of Media Turki Al-Shabanah said in a Tweet on Sunday.

“Reports claiming that HRH the Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman intends on buying @ManUtd are completely false. Manchester United held a meeting with @PIFSaudi to discuss sponsorship opportunity . No deal has been materialized.,” Al-Shabanah’s tweet read.

 

The rumors that emerged in UK media reported that the crown prince tabled a $4.9 billion bid for the 13-time premier league winning team.