ICC prosecutor issues warning on Bedouin village demolition

Israel says Khan Al-Ahmar was built illegally and has offered to resettle its residents a few kilometers away. (AFP)
Updated 17 October 2018
0

ICC prosecutor issues warning on Bedouin village demolition

  • Palestinians and other critics say the demolition aims to displace Palestinians in favor of Israeli settlement expansion

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor has issued a warning that if Israel goes ahead and destroys a Palestinian Bedouin village on the West Bank that could constitute a war crime.
Israel’s Supreme Court recently rejected a final appeal against plans to demolish the village, Khan Al-Ahmar.
In a statement Wednesday, ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda says “evacuation by force now appears imminent.”
Bensouda adds that the “extensive destruction of property without military necessity and population transfers in an occupied territory constitute war crimes” under the Rome Statute treaty that established the ICC.
Israel says Khan Al-Ahmar was built illegally and has offered to resettle its residents a few miles (kilometers) away. Palestinians and other critics say the demolition aims to displace Palestinians in favor of Israeli settlement expansion.


US to send 1,500 more troops to Middle East amid Iran threat

Updated 1 min 45 sec ago
0

US to send 1,500 more troops to Middle East amid Iran threat

  • Donald Trump says the additional troops would serve a 'mostly protective' role
  • The US began reinforcing its presence in the Arabian Gulf region earlier this month

WASHINGTON:  Donald Trump said Friday the US will send 1,500 extra troops to the Middle East in a "mostly protective role" amid heightened tensions with Iran.

"We want to have protection in the Middle East. We're going to be sending a relatively small number of troops, mostly protective," Trump said as he left the White House for a trip to Japan.
"Some very talented people are going to the Middle East right now. And we'll see what happens."

Officials said earlier that members of Congress were notified following a White House meeting Thursday to discuss Pentagon proposals to bolster the US force presence in the Middle East.
Earlier this week, officials had said that Pentagon planners had outlined plans that could have sent up to 10,000 military reinforcements to the region. Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan later said planners had not settled on a figure.
The US began reinforcing its presence in the Arabian Gulf region this month in response to what it said was a threat from Iran.

More to follow...