Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

A computer screen displaying the Twitter account of Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. (File/AFP)
Updated 23 October 2018
0

Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

  • Twitter permanently suspended @realalexjones and @infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September
  • Other tech companies, including PayPal, YouTube, Apple and Spotify, have limited or banned Jones’ activities on their sites

LOS ANGELES: Twitter has removed some accounts thought to be used to circumvent a ban on conspiracy-monger Alex Jones and Infowars, the company said Tuesday.
A Twitter spokesman confirmed that the accounts had been removed but provided no additional comment. The company says it usually does not discuss specific accounts.
Twitter permanently suspended @realalexjones and @infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September. It said it based that action in reports of tweets and videos that violated its policy against abusive behavior.
The company said it would continue to evaluate reports regarding other accounts potentially associated with @realalexjones or @infowars and would take action if it finds content that violates its rules or if other accounts are used to try to circumvent their ban.
Other tech companies, including PayPal, YouTube, Apple and Spotify, have limited or banned Jones’ activities on their sites.
Infowars has said the moves are intended to sabotaging the site just weeks before the midterm elections.
On Twitter and elsewhere, Jones has done such things as describe survivors of a shooting in Parkland, Florida, “crisis actors” and saying the mass killing at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012 was fake. He had about 900,000 followers on Twitter. Infowars had about 430,000.


CNN sues White House over revoked credentials of correspondent

Updated 13 November 2018
0

CNN sues White House over revoked credentials of correspondent

  • CNN said the White House violated journalist Jim Acosta's rights under the constitution by revoking his press credentials

WASHINGTON: CNN filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the Trump administration over the revocation of press credentials for White House correspondent Jim Acosta, whose questions and reporting have been a frequent target of criticism by President Donald Trump.
“We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process,” CNN said in a statement. “While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone. If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”