Saudi Arabia’s U-19 team clinch remarkable Asian Cup with victory over Korea

Saudi Arabia’s Young Falcons pulled off a remarkable win against South Korea in the Asian Cup final on Sunday, with talisman Turki Al-Ammar leading the line. (Twitter: @SaudiNT)
Updated 04 November 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s U-19 team clinch remarkable Asian Cup with victory over Korea

  • Caps a wonderful week for Saudi Arabia as their semifinal win over Japan saw them qualify for next year’s FIFA U-20 World Cup
  • Young Falcons showed the defensive resolve that had got them to the final and held on to claim the title

JAKARTA: Saudi Arabia’s Young Falcons pulled off a remarkable win against South Korea in the Asian Cup final on Sunday, with talisman Turki Al-Ammar leading the line to land the Kingdom its third title at U-19 level and their first since 1992.
It caps a wonderful week for Saudi Arabia as their semifinal win over Japan saw them qualify for next year’s FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland, where they will be joined by their beaten opponents Korea.
It took the Saudis just two minutes to go ahead, with Al-Ammar finishing on the rebound after Abdulmohsen Al-Qahtani’s initial shot had been saved.
Twenty minutes later, they had a second goal. Khalid Al-Ghannam struck a scintillating drive over Lee Gwang-yeon in the Korean goal from distance to send the Saudi supporters in the Bogor’s Pakansari Stadium into raptures.
Korea pressed harder in the second half in a bid to rescue the game, and they reduced the deficit midway through the half, as Cho Young-wook calmly despatching a penalty, which had been given after Jeon Se-jin was upended in the area by Muhannad Al-Shanqiti.
Ten minutes after that, Jeon should have dragged his team level, but he steered his attempt wide at the far post from a pinpoint cross from Um Won-Sang.
But the Young Falcons showed the defensive resolve that had got them to the final and held on to claim the title and spark wild celebrations.


Three Germany fans filmed shouting racist abuse at Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan turn themselves in

Updated 39 min 28 sec ago
0

Three Germany fans filmed shouting racist abuse at Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan turn themselves in

  • Alleged abuse took place during Germany’s 1-1 draw with Serbia in Wolfsburg on Wednesday
  • Men accused of chanting “Heil Hitler” and shouted “we need another small Austrian.”

WOLFSBURG:Three men who shouted racist abuse at Germany’s Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan during the friendly with Serbia turned themselves in after another fan posted a video on Facebook, police said Friday.

After the images, taken during Germany’s 1-1 draw with Serbia in Wolfsburg on Wednesday, appeared online, “they presented themselves and confessed they were the three alleged perpetrators,” confirmed local police spokesman Thomas Figge.

“They gave a preliminary statement presenting their version of events.”

Another supporter, identified by German tabloid Bild as Andre Voigt, a journalist who had gone to the match as a fan, filmed the trio insulting Manchester City players Sane, whose father is from Senegal, and Gundogan, the son of Turkish immigrants.

The German Football Association on Friday condemned the verbal attacks in the “strongest terms” and said it would ban from matches any perpetrators confirmed to have made the chants.

Voigt said the men had chanted “Heil Hitler” and shouted “we need another small Austrian.”

“Every time Sane touched the ball, they insulted his color. Gundogan was insulted as a Turk. They spoke in pseudo-Turkish accents every time he had the ball. And then they’d start again with ‘black, black, black!’“

The men are aged between 30 and 40, said Figge.

“The police will continue their investigation into incitement to hate and send the file to the prosecutor’s office early next week,” said the police spokesman.

Gundogan, along with Mesut Ozil, was the center of controversy before the World Cup for posing for a photo alongside Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Midfielder Leon Goretzka said those responsible for the chants must be dealt with accordingly.

“The video shocked me and decisive action has to be taken against it,” said the 24-year-old Bayern Munich player.

“We stand for diversity, integration should be a matter of course, I can only call on everyone to act with a lot of courage and put people like that in their place.”