French police arrest six over plot to attack Emmanuel Macron: Official

A French judicial official says six people have been arrested on preliminary terrorism charges, suspected of plotting to attack French President Emmanuel Macron. (AP)
Updated 06 November 2018
0

French police arrest six over plot to attack Emmanuel Macron: Official

  • Police sources said the six were members of the radical far right in France
  • France’s domestic spy agency (DGSI) ordered the raids in three different regions

PARIS: French police on Tuesday arrested five men and a woman, all from the radical far right, suspected of plotting to attack French President Emmanuel Macron, an official close to the investigation said.
The source said France’s domestic spy agency (DGSI) ordered the raids in three different regions after obtaining intelligence that raised suspicion of an “imprecise and loosely-formed” plan for “violent action” against the president.
Police sources said the six were members of the radical far right in France. They were detained in swoops on addresses in the Isere region, southeast of Lyon, in Moselle on the border with Germany and Luxembourg, and in Ille-et-Vilaine near the city of Rennes in the country’s northwest.
It was not immediately clear what the connection between those arrested was.
In an interview published on Sunday, Macron warned of the threat from far-right movements across Europe, saying complacency during the 1930s was what had opened the way for the rise of Hitler in Germany and Mussolini in Italy.
In June, 10 people linked to France’s radical far right were placed under formal investigation on suspicion of links to terrorist networks.
A source close to the investigation said the 10 belonged to a hard-line group whose stated intent was to “fight against the threat of Islam” and were suspected of planning an attack on Muslims.
The June raids led to the seizure of ingredients for making explosives as well as guns and ammunition.
It was not clear if Tuesday’s security operation was connected to the June arrests.


Two Eurofighters crash over eastern Germany, pilots eject: German Air Force

Updated 10 min 55 sec ago
0

Two Eurofighters crash over eastern Germany, pilots eject: German Air Force

BERLIN: Two Eurofighter warplanes crashed in northeastern Germany after a mid-air collision on Monday, the German air force said, adding that both pilots had managed to use their ejector seats.
The jets, belonging to the German armed forces, crashed near the Laage military base in the eastern state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, the air force added on its Twitter account.
“Together with a third Eurofighter they were flying an Air Combat Mission,” the German force tweeted. “The pilot of the third Eurofighter observed the collision and reported that two parachutes descended to the ground.”
Ostseewelle radio, which first reported the crash, posted a video https://www.ostseewelle.de/nachrichten/eurofighter-in-mueritzregion-kollidiert sent in by one of its readers which it said showed two plumes of smoke rising from separate crash sites at some distance from each other.
Focus magazine said one of the pilots of the Eurofighters — made by Airbus, BAE Systems and Leonardo — had been found living while the other was yet to be located.