Turkey kills YPG militant who fired across Syrian border

Turkey’s military has carried out two incursions into Syria against the YPG militia. (File/AFP)
Updated 07 November 2018
0

Turkey kills YPG militant who fired across Syrian border

  • The militant had fired from Syria’s Ras Al-Ayn region into Turkey’s Sanliurfa province
  • Turkey’s military has carried out two incursions into Syria against the YPG militia

ISTANBUL: Turkish forces killed a Kurdish YPG militant who fired into Turkey from Syria, a Turkish security source said on Wednesday, the most recent cross-border clash between Turkey and Kurdish militants east of the Euphrates River.
The militant had fired from Syria’s Ras Al-Ayn region into Turkey’s Sanliurfa province, the source said.
Turkey considers the YPG militia a terrorist organization and an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against Turkey since 1984.
Turkey’s military has carried out two incursions into Syria against the YPG militia, both focusing on its presence to the west of the Euphrates River.
President Tayyip Erdogan has signaled an impending operation against YPG forces the east of the river, delivering last month what he said was his “final warning” to those he said endangered Turkey’s southern border with Syria.
The YPG spearheads the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces in the fight against Islamic State in Syria. Washington’s support for the militia has infuriated Ankara.
Turkish forces last month bombarded YPG positions near Ayn Al-Arab, Turkey’s Anadolu news agency reported. It killed four Kurdish militants last week in a separate cross-border clash in the same region, broadcaster TRT reported.


Saudi Arabia's KSRelief says blast kills 5 foreign demining experts in Yemen

Updated 4 min 31 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia's KSRelief says blast kills 5 foreign demining experts in Yemen

SANAA: A Saudi demining group says five of its international experts have been killed by an accidental explosion in Yemen while transporting mines and explosives to be destroyed.
The MASAM Demining Project said Monday that two South Africans, a Croatian, a Bosnian and a Kosovar were killed a day earlier while transporting the material in the central Marib province to a remote location where it could be safely detonated. It says a British national was wounded.
The project, part of the Saudi King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), began last year and seeks to remove unexploded ordnance from Yemen.
MASAM says the experts “lost their lives while attempting to bring safety and security to the Yemeni people, and their service to mankind will not be forgotten.”


This comes as Yemeni security officials say UN envoy Martin Griffiths has arrived in the capital, Sanaa, on an unannounced visit to discuss the “complex situation” in and around the coastal city of Hodeidah, where Yemen’s warring parties agreed to a cease-fire last month and agreed on a prisoner exchange that has yet to take place.
Also under discussion from Monday will be disagreements between the Houthi militia, who hold Hodeidah, and Retired Dutch Maj. Gen. Patrick Cammaert, who is heading a UN mission charged with monitoring the cease-fire.
The conflict in Yemen began with the 2014 takeover of Sanaa by the Iranian-backed terrorist group. An Arab coalition allied with the internationally recognized government has been fighting the Houthis since 2015.
The officials spoke anonymously as they weren’t authorized to brief journalists.
Meanwhile, the coordination cell at the Advanced Operations Center in Hodeidah identified 688 violations committed by the Houthi militia since the cease-fire took effect on Dec. 18.
A cell report published by the Yemeni News Agency said that these violations committed by the Houthis led to the killing of 48 citizens and 362 others wounded, some with serious injuries.
A military source in the committee pointed out that the Houthi violations continue with various types of weapons, which target civilian houses, public places and army positions.
The source stressed that the militia continues to strengthen its defensive positions by planting mines and digging trenches and land passages at the entrances to the city and the main sites.
The source pointed out that the Iran-backed militia aims to provoke the forces of the Yemeni National Army and the Arab coalition through these increasing violations, in a clear intent to thwart the Stockholm cease-fire agreement.
The source called on the office of the UN envoy to take the necessary and serious measures to pressure the Houthi militia to immediately stop these violations and abide by the UN-led agreement on Hodeidah.