Ribery apologizes in video message for reportedly slapping TV pundit

Franck Ribery, left, and Lukasz Piszcek vie for the ball during the Bundesliga match between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich. Ribery reportedly assaulted a French journalist after the match. (AFP)
Updated 15 November 2018
0

Ribery apologizes in video message for reportedly slapping TV pundit

  • 35-year-old Ribery reportedly hit Guillou three times in the face before pushing him in the chest
  • Ribery was annoyed by Guillou’s critical comments about the veteran winger’s performance in the defeat to Dortmund

BERLIN: Former France international Franck Ribery on Thursday issued a public apology to French television pundit Patrick Guillou, who he reportedly insulted and assaulted following Bayern Munich’s away defeat to Borussia Dortmund at the weekend.
“I had a meeting with Patrick Guillou yesterday in Munich,” Ribery said in a video posted on Bayern’s website in German.
“We spoke for a long time about what happened after the game in Dortmund, it was wrong what I did and I was very emotional after the match.
“I apologized to Patrick and his family, I hope the matter is now over and it was important for me, and for him too, to have this conversation.”
According to reports, Ribery “made abusive remarks and then physically attacked” Guillou, a commentator for sports channel beIn, on the Bayern team bus after Saturday’s 3-2 loss at Bundesliga leaders Dortmund.
According to accounts, the 35-year-old Ribery hit Guillou three times in the face before pushing him in his chest.
German daily Bild claim Ribery was annoyed by Guillou’s critical comments about the veteran winger’s performance in the defeat, which left Bayern fifth in the league table seven points behind leaders Dortmund.
Ribery’s wife Wahiba had sent the winger a message on Instagram saying Guillou was “very tiring and useless.”


Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

Updated 14 December 2018
0

Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

  • Egypt’s bid came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate
  • Cameroon lost being the host of the Cup because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country

CAIRO: The Egyptian Football Association says it has submitted a bid to replace Cameroon as next year’s African Cup of Nations host, a surprise pitch by the North African country which wasn’t initially thought of as a contender.
Egypt’s bid, announced Thursday to meet Friday’s deadline, came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate. Morocco had been considered the front-runner after being a candidate to host the 2026 World Cup. It lost out in that race to a joint United States-Mexico-Canada bid.
The Confederation of African Football has given countries until the end of Friday to submit bids for the 2019 African Cup, which was taken away from Cameroon last month because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country. CAF wants a new host in place by Dec. 31, with the tournament in June and July looming.
South Africa is another possible stand-in host, but the South African Football Association hasn’t confirmed it will bid and says it needs government approval before any decision.