Britain’s top diplomat in Iran as US oil sanctions back on

1 / 2
The nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, which the US pulled out of earlier this year, will be on the agenda. (AP)
2 / 2
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt first met with his Iranian counterpart, Mohammed Javad Zarif, shortly after arriving in Tehran. (AP)
Updated 20 November 2018
0

Britain’s top diplomat in Iran as US oil sanctions back on

  • Iran said its still hopeful that Europe can salvage the nuclear deal, which the US withdrew from in May
  • Other signatories of the deal, including France, Germany, Britain, Russia and China, have been searching for ways to save deal

TEHRAN, Iran: Britain’s top diplomat was visiting Iran on Monday, less than two weeks after the United States re-imposed oil sanctions on the country.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt first met with his Iranian counterpart, Mohammed Javad Zarif, shortly after arriving in Tehran. The two have already held talks in New York in September, on the sideline of the United Nations’ General Assembly.
The nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, which the US pulled out of earlier this year, will be on the agenda, as well as an agreement aimed at facilitating financial transactions with Iran, the official IRNA news agency reported. Europe and Britain still support the nuclear deal and are looking for ways to salvage it.
Hunt is also expected to raise the case of British-Iranian charity worker, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, arrested during a holiday with her toddler daughter in April 2016 and acused by Iran of plotting against the government. Her family denies this, saying she was in Iran to visit family.
Since Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s arrest, British officials have routinely sought her release in talks with Iranian leaders.
Iranian state TV said Hunt would also meet Ali Shamkhani, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, suggesting that talks over the fate of Zaghari-Ratcliffe were likely.
President Donald Trump pulled the US out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers in May. United Nations monitors say Iran still abides by the deal, in which it agreed to limit its uranium enrichment in return for the lifting of international sanctions.


Turkey says it will not let the US hold it back in Syria

Updated 48 min 28 sec ago
0

Turkey says it will not let the US hold it back in Syria

  • Turkey said it would launch a new operation within days against the US-backed Syrian Kurdish YPG militia
  • Relations between the two NATO allies have long been strained by Syria policy

ISTANBUL: Turkey pledged on Monday to press ahead with plans to target a Kurdish militia in northern Syria, brushing off what it said were American efforts to stymie Turkish military operations east of the Euphrates.
President Tayyip Erdogan said last week that Turkey would launch a new operation within days against the US-backed Syrian Kurdish YPG militia in northern Syria. The Pentagon expressed grave concern and said unilateral military action there by any party would be “unacceptable.”
Relations between the two NATO allies have long been strained by Syria policy. The United States has backed the YPG against Daesh fighters. Ankara, however, sees the YPG as terrorists tied to PKK militants who have fought an insurgency in southeast Turkey for 34 years.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said Washington had tried to hold Turkey back during two operations in Syria in the last two years against Daesh and the YPG, which controls swathes of Syria’s northern border region.
“The United States thought it could deter us with the men it has nurtured,” he said during a visit to Pakistan, state-owned news agency Anadolu reported. “Now, they will try to hold us back east of the Euphrates. Turkey did not, and will not, allow that.”
Turkey has not yet launched an operation east of the Euphrates but has kept up regular air strikes against Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants based in Iraq’s mountains.
Baghdad summoned Turkey’s ambassador to Iraq on Friday after Ankara said it killed eight PKK fighters. But Turkish warplanes have since carried out further strikes.
On Monday, Turkey’s defense ministry said air strikes on Sunday targeted northern Iraq’s Gara and Hakurk areas and “neutralized” seven militants preparing to attack Turkish bases.
Erdogan has said Turkish forces will enter the Syrian town of Manbij, west of the Euphrates, if the United States does not remove YPG fighters there and will also target the eastern side, where the YPG controls an area stretching more than 400 km (250 miles) along the border toward Iraq.
On Sunday he vowed again to maintain attacks on militants.
“We are always in the heads of the terrorists. We are burying them in the ditches they dig. We will continue to bury them,” he said in a rally in Istanbul.
“Terrorists will cease to be an affliction for my nation,” he said. “Together with God’s permission we are making those who attack our homeland and borders pay the price.”
The United States has set up observation posts on the Syrian border, saying they will deter security threats against Turkey coming from Syria. It has warned Turkey against a new incursion.