Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law. (SPA)
Updated 20 November 2018
0

Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

  • Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict
  • Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing the legitimate government in Yemen against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels is committed to reaching a political solution to the conflict, its spokesman confirmed on Monday.

Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths, in an address to the Security Council, had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict.

Al-Maliki explained that a meeting had been held by Yemen’s national economic committee, which included representatives from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the UK and the US.

During the meeting, several measures were taken to improve the Yemeni economy, Al-Maliki said. He also added that the coalition had facilitated a humanitarian plan for Yemen worth more than $1 billion with contributions from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait.

Regarding Houthi actions in Yemen, Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law.

He said the Houthis had planted mines at a school as well as other areas in and around Hodeidah, and destroyed a mosque in the port city.

Al-Maliki also provided evidence that the Houthis replaced contents of World Food Program packages with TNT explosives.

He added that 200 mines planted by the Houthis had been deactivated in the province of Hajjah, reiterating that the group is still using civilians as human shields and recruiting them to join their ranks.


Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman touches down in India

Updated 11 min 30 sec ago
0

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman touches down in India

NEW DELHI: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrived in India on Tuesday for the second stage of his Asia tour.

His plane touched down at Air Force Station Palam in New Delhi shortly after 8.45 p.m. local time.

The crown prince is expected to announce a $1 billion investment in India’s infrastructure and farming sectors during his first visit to the nation.

Prince Mohammed is expected to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and various other ministers and officials.

He is accompanied by leading Saudi businessmen and officials.

India is hoping the crown prince will announce an investment in its National Investment Infrastructure Fund (NIIF), a sovereign wealth fund that includes private companies and foreign investors.

The Kingdom is India’s top energy supplier and home to more than 3.5 million Indian expatriates.