Danish ex-gangster shot dead after launch of book on quitting crime

A picture taken on November 20, 2018 shows copies of the book titled "Roots - A gangster's way out" about Nedim Yasar by author Marie-Louise Toksvig displayed at a bookstore in Koebmagergade Copenhagen's district. (AFP)
Updated 20 November 2018
0

Danish ex-gangster shot dead after launch of book on quitting crime

  • Nedim Yasar, 31, made a name for himself as a radio host after quitting Los Guerreros, a Copenhagen gang involved in the drugs trade
  • At least two shots were fired at Yasar when he was leaving the book launch on Monday by a gunman who fled the scene

COPENHAGEN: A former Danish gang leader died of gunshot wounds on Tuesday as his memoir on leaving the criminal underworld went on sale. He was shot a day earlier after an event to launch the book.
Nedim Yasar, 31, made a name for himself as a radio host after quitting Los Guerreros, a Copenhagen gang involved in the drugs trade. His book, “Roots,” about pulling himself out of crime was published on Tuesday.
At least two shots were fired at Yasar when he was leaving the book launch on Monday by a gunman who fled the scene.
Danish justice Soren Pape Poulsen paid tribute to Yasar, who was born in Turkey and came to Denmark at the age of 4, according to newspaper Politiken.
“How sad and infinitely meaningless. I met Nedim once. I met a man who with all his heart wanted to create and new life and make a difference for others. My thoughts and compassion go to his friends and family,” Poulsen tweeted.
According to news agency Ritzau, Yasar decided to leave his gang and join an exit program after he learned he was going to become a father. He often spoke of his life experiences on his radio show.
Police said Yasar told them in 2017 he had been the victim of an attempted assault, after he had quit the gang.
Denmark had a record number of gang-related shootings last year, police said. Some politicians linked the rise in violence to problems integrating non-Western immigrants.


Polish PM cancels Israel visit amid new Holocaust tensions

Updated 43 min 17 sec ago
0

Polish PM cancels Israel visit amid new Holocaust tensions

  • Netanyahu made an off-hand comment last week during a conference in Warsaw that “Poles cooperated with the Nazis”

WARSAW: A Polish government official says Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki will not attend a meeting in Israel starting Monday amid new tensions between the two countries over how to remember Polish behavior during the Holocaust.
Michal Dworczyk, who heads Morawiecki’s chancellery, announced the change of plans on Sunday.
Netanyahu made an off-hand comment last week during a Middle East conference in Warsaw that “Poles cooperated with the Nazis” — wording suggesting some Poles during the German occupation of Poland participated in killing Jews.
He was initially quoted by the Jerusalem Post as saying “the Poles,” which could be taken as blaming the entire Polish nation.
Both Netanyahu’s office and the newspaper say he was misquoted in an editing error, but the Polish government said it was not satisfied.