Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor

Indian Bollywood actor Alok Nath is facing criminal charges filed by a a writer and producer, who has accused the veteran actor of raping her 19 years ago. (AFP file photo)
Updated 22 November 2018
0

Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor

  • Vinta Nanda, a writer and producer, has accused Alok Nath of raping her 19 years ago

MUMBAI: Indian police said Wednesday they had registered a rape case against Bollywood actor Alok Nath, a rare development in India’s burgeoning #MeToo movement, with very few accusations under investigation by the authorities.

Vinta Nanda, a writer and producer, has accused the veteran actor of raping her 19 years ago.

“Yesterday (Tuesday), Vinta Nanda visited Oshiwara police station (in Mumbai) and filed a complaint against Alok Nath.

“Investigations are on and an FIR (first information report) has been filed under section 376 of the IPC (Indian Penal Code),” deputy commissioner Paramjit Singh Dahiya told AFP. In a Facebook post published last month Nanda said she had been “brutalized and violated endlessly” by the popular star. She did not name him directly but dropped enough hints which led others in the Hindi film industry to quickly identify him on Twitter.  

Nath, 62, denies the allegations and has sued Nanda for defamation. He has also asked for a written apology and token compensation of one rupee.


Morocco tourist murder trial to open on May 2

Updated 23 April 2019
0

Morocco tourist murder trial to open on May 2

  • The bodies of the victims were found on High Atlas mountains
  • Official said four of the prosecuted appeared in videos pledging allegiance to Daesh

RABAT: Suspected extremist sympathizers will face trial on May 2 for the murder of two Scandinavian women in Morocco, a defense lawyer told AFP on Tuesday.
The killing of Danish student Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and 28-year-old Norwegian Maren Ueland in December was deemed a “terrorist” act by Moroccan authorities.
Twenty-four defendants will face trial — for charges including promoting terrorism, forming a terrorist cell or causing premeditated harm to persons — in Sale, a city neighboring the capital Rabat, according to defense lawyer Saad Sahli.
A Spanish-Swiss man who authorities allege subscribed to “extremist ideology” stands accused of helping the four main suspects in the murder, charges he denies.
The decapitated bodies of the two victims were found in the High Atlas mountains, where they had been hiking in an area popular with tourists.
A video circulated on social media allegedly showed the murder of one of the women, while Rabat’s prosecutor has said the four main suspects appeared in separate footage pledging allegiance to the Daesh group.
The accused however had no contact with the extremist group in conflict zones, according to Morocco’s anti-terror chief.
The North African country relies heavily on tourism.
Foreign visitors were previously targeted in a 2011 bomb blast in Marrakesh which killed 17 people.
An attack in 2003 on the financial capital Casablanca left 33 people dead.