Silver Arrows of Mercedes ready to go for broke in Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Updated 23 November 2018
0

Silver Arrows of Mercedes ready to go for broke in Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

ABU DHABI: Toto Wolff hopes to see his champion Mercedes team deliver a “great show for the fans” at this weekend’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Mercedes team chief, who has overseen Lewis Hamilton’s memorable fifth title triumph and the Silver Arrows’ fifth consecutive constructors’ championship, said that he felt humbled by the celebrations last week, but also determined to continue setting the pace.

“The celebrations in Brixworth and Brackley were a very humbling experience,” the Austrian said. “Claiming the fifth consecutive double championship — an experience that very few people in the sport have ever had — felt amazing. We cherished that moment.

“At the same time, everyone is keen to continue to raise the bar together and be even stronger in 2019. For now, we have one race to go in 2018 and we want to put on a great show for the fans who supported us this season, be it at the track, in front of their TV or on social media.

“The pressure is off so this is one race where we can really for broke.”

The prospect of five-time champion Hamilton and his team-mate Valtteri Bottas battling for victory against the Ferrari and Red Bull teams at a track where Mercedes have been unbeaten in the modern turbo-hybrid era is tantalizing.

But the Yas Marina circuit has only rarely delivered thrills, even if the racing under floodlights has always looked a dazzling spectacle.

Whatever happens in the race, for many the weekend is likely to be more memorable for two-time champion Fernando Alonso’s farewell to Formula 1 and Kimi Raikkonen’s last foray with Ferrari before he moves to Sauber in a swap that sees Charles Leclerc going the other way.

A victory for the 39-year-old Finn would be also be a first at the track for Ferrari as Abu Dhabi celebrates its 10th hosting of the event.

Alonso, who has won the Monaco Grand Prix and the Le Mans 24-Hours race, is departing to concentrate on winning the Indianapolis 500, the third element of the motorsports triple crown.

“I’ve won more races than I dreamed of when I came here,” Alonso said. “I’ve ticked this box. I need to find another box to fill with another tick now.”


Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

Updated 14 December 2018
0

Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

  • Egypt’s bid came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate
  • Cameroon lost being the host of the Cup because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country

CAIRO: The Egyptian Football Association says it has submitted a bid to replace Cameroon as next year’s African Cup of Nations host, a surprise pitch by the North African country which wasn’t initially thought of as a contender.
Egypt’s bid, announced Thursday to meet Friday’s deadline, came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate. Morocco had been considered the front-runner after being a candidate to host the 2026 World Cup. It lost out in that race to a joint United States-Mexico-Canada bid.
The Confederation of African Football has given countries until the end of Friday to submit bids for the 2019 African Cup, which was taken away from Cameroon last month because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country. CAF wants a new host in place by Dec. 31, with the tournament in June and July looming.
South Africa is another possible stand-in host, but the South African Football Association hasn’t confirmed it will bid and says it needs government approval before any decision.