California’s deadliest wildfire finally tamed

The so-called Camp Fire, which broke out on November 8, is so far known to have killed 85 people. (AP)
Updated 26 November 2018
0

California’s deadliest wildfire finally tamed

  • A total of 153,336 acres were affected by the fire, with nearly 14,000 homes and hundreds of other structures destroyed
  • Heavy downfalls that have soaked the fire zone in the past days helped douse the remaining flames, but also made it more difficult for crews searching for bodies

LOS ANGELES: The deadliest and most destructive fire in California’s history was finally brought totally under control by firefighters, more than two weeks after it erupted, authorities said on Sunday.
The so-called Camp Fire, which broke out on November 8, is so far known to have killed 85 people.
The Butte County Sheriff’s department said that they had mistakenly added two people to an earlier death toll of 87.
However late Sunday they increased the number of missing people to 296 from 249 — still considerably lower than the 474 reported missing on Friday.
“#CampFire ... is now 100% contained,” Cal Fire, the state fire authority, said in a bulletin on Twitter.
Only 54 of the fatalities have been identified, according to the local sheriff’s office in Butte County, a rural area north of the state capital Sacramento.
A total of 153,336 acres were affected by the fire, with nearly 14,000 homes and hundreds of other structures destroyed.
Heavy downfalls that have soaked the fire zone in the past days helped douse the remaining flames, but also made it more difficult for crews searching for bodies.
The Camp Fire was the second major blaze to hit California in recent weeks with a fire in the Malibu area near Los Angeles also killing three people.
The smoke from the Camp Fire was so intense that schools in San Francisco had to close at one point earlier this month as did the city’s famed cable car and Alcatraz Island.
California’s governor, Jerry Brown, has warned that the state can expect a growing number of major fires as a result of global warming.
US President Donald Trump, who visited one of the worst-hit towns called Paradise last weekend, caused some consternation by saying that the fires were due in part to forestry mismanagement.
Ahead of the announcement that the fire has been totally tamed, authorities had already begun letting residents return to some of the worst hit areas to inspect the damage to their homes.
In a joint bulletin posted on Saturday, the police and fire service said evacuation orders that had in place for some areas over the last fortnight were being lifted for both residents and non-residents, while warning that essential services were still “very limited.”
“Prior to returning home, residents are encouraged to take steps to ensure they have food, water and fuel for their vehicles,” said the statement.
While Brown has warned that mega fires such as those in Butte and Malibu will cease to be “abnormal” events, the state has allocated about $1 billion over the next five years for fire prevention.
Much of the cash will go on education and suppression activities such as clearing grasses and other vegetation, according to officials.
But many experts are calling for more restrictions on housing being built in forests as a means of eliminating danger before the blazes even break out. “I think people are thinking about if there is a way we can design the new Paradise that can look like more of a European village or a ski town, and not have houses out in the forests,” Bill Stewart, co-director of the Center for Forestry at the University of California, Berkeley told AFP.
A recent study found that one third of all US houses now are located in what researchers refer to as the wildland-urban interface, where houses and forest vegetation intermingle.
While Trump has repeatedly expressed skepticism about global warming, a new report by his administration warned Friday that climate change will cost the US hundreds of billions of dollars annually by century’s end unless drastic action is taken to cut carbon emissions.


Italian hostage freed after 3 years in Syria returns home

Updated 33 min 51 sec ago
0

Italian hostage freed after 3 years in Syria returns home

  • The man who disappeared traveled to Turkey in October 2016
  • An official said the man was kidnapped by a criminal gang

MILAN: Italy’s defense minister says an Italian who had been held hostage in Syria for three years has been released and returned to Italy.

Defense Minister Elisabetta Trenta late Wednesday confirmed Alessandro Sandrini’s arrival at Rome’s Ciampino airport and thanked Italian intelligence services for their role in his liberation. Details were not disclosed.

Sandrini, who is in his early 30s, disappeared after traveling to Turkey in October 2016, and wasn’t heard from for over a year. In July 2018, a dramatic video showed Sandrini wearing an orange jumpsuit flanked by masked men brandishing automatic weapons, appealing to Italy to help free him as quickly as possible.

A local government in Syria affiliated with the Al-Qaeda-linked militant group Hayat Tahir-al Sham said he had been kidnapped by a criminal gang.