Israeli women hold nationwide protest over domestic violence

Women were staying home from work and holding demonstrations in cities throughout Israel, some blocking roads. (AFP)
Updated 04 December 2018
0

Israeli women hold nationwide protest over domestic violence

  • Israeli women called for more to be done to tackle the problem and more state funding to be made available
  • Protesters observed a moment of silence to mark the 24 deaths this year

JERUSALEM: Thousands of Israeli women protested against domestic violence in a nationwide strike on Tuesday, calling for more action and state funding to deal with the problem.

The strike came after two girls were killed last week, bringing the number of women and girls murdered in Israel this year to 24, according to Israeli media reports.

Women were staying home from work and holding demonstrations in cities throughout Israel, some blocking roads.

Protesters observed a moment of silence to mark the 24 deaths this year.

“Bibi, wake up, our blood is not cheap,” protesters chanted near the entrance to Jerusalem, referring to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by his nickname. The road had been smeared with red paint, symbolising the blood of victims.

Speaking on Sunday, Netanyahu mentioned a recent visit to a women’s shelter, following which he decided to head the governmental committee to combat domestic violence.

“We will convene the committee time after time,” he pledged, “to bring a better future and hope for these women.”

Members of the opposition, however, accused the government of failing to fund the existing program to deal with the problem.

“It’s all a matter of priorities,” Ksenia Svetlova of the Zionist Union said during a parliamentary hearing.

She said 250 million shekels ($67 million) for the program had not been transferred.

“The welfare offices are on the brink of collapse,” said Svetlova.

A central rally was planned for Tuesday evening in Tel Aviv.

 


Sudanese protesters call for strike amid divisions with army

Updated 29 min 59 sec ago
0

Sudanese protesters call for strike amid divisions with army

  • The Sudanese Professionals’ Association called for the nationwide strike to begin Tuesday
  • They asked people to go to work but abstain from any activity, then head to various marches and sit-ins across the country

KHARTOUM, Sudan: Sudan’s protest leaders have set a date for next week’s two-day general strike in a bid to press the ruling military council to transfer power to a civilian-led authority.
The Sudanese Professionals’ Association, which spearheaded protests that led the army to oust President Omar Al-Bashir last month, called for the nationwide strike to begin Tuesday.
A statement released Saturday asked people to go to work but abstain from any activity, then head to various marches and sit-ins across the country. The days of protest are set to culminate in mass rallies on Thursday.
Despite ending Al-Bashir’s 30-year reign, protesters have remained in the streets. They insist on “limited military representation” in a sovereign council, while the military wants to lead the body during an agreed-upon three-year transition.