Deontay Wilder calls for rematch with Tyson Fury

1 / 3
A rematch between Wilder and Fury is the one fight fans across the world want to see. (AFP)
2 / 3
3 / 3
Updated 05 December 2018
0

Deontay Wilder calls for rematch with Tyson Fury

  • Wilder deals right hook at Fury claims he will try to wrestle out of a possible rematch.
  • US fighter insists we want Fury fight as soon as possible.

LOS ANGELES: Deontay Wilder has called for an immediate rematch with Tyson Fury, dismissing claims from his British rival he would attempt to avoid a return bout after their epic heavyweight duel in Los Angeles.
Wilder retained his World Boxing Council heavyweight crown on Saturday after a thrilling 12-round battle ended in a split decision draw at the Staples Center.
Fury, who many observers believe did enough to win despite being knocked down twice during the fight, said on Monday he feared Wilder would seek to duck a rematch “at all costs.”
However the 33-year-old Wilder rejected that claim in the strongest possible terms, saying a rematch with Fury was his priority rather than a unification bout with WBA, IBF and WBO champion Anthony Joshua.
“I’m ready to do it again,” Wilder said.
“My main goal is Tyson Fury. I’m looking forward to giving him the rematch as soon as possible.
“This is the biggest fight still in the heavyweight division, this is the most exciting fight in the heavyweight division and we’re ready to give the fans what they want to see.”

Many pundits and fans thought Fury had done enough to win the fight in LA on Saturday. 


Wilder snatched a draw on Saturday after Fury somehow recovered from a devastating 12th round knockdown by the American champion to finish the fight on his feet.
Wilder said he would make no mistake in any possible rematch.
“He woke up from hell — I want to put him back there,” Wilder said.
Fury, who only returned to boxing this year after nearly three years out of the ring as he struggled with depression, drink and drug problems, had said Monday he doubted Wilder would grant him a return.
“I’ve got a funny feeling he’s going to get his running shoes out and stay away from me at all costs,” Fury said.

WILDER SAYS REMATCH IS ‘INESCAPABLE’

However Wilder said a rematch was all but inescapable.
“Both sides definitely want (a rematch) to happen. I don’t see why we wouldn’t. It’s a great fight and the build-up has already started. We can’t get away from this fight.
“It’s only right for us to go back in and do it again. I don’t want no other fights to happen between him or I before then. I want to give Tyson Fury the rematch ASAP.”
Wilder, who on Saturday had spoken enthusiastically about a possible unification fight with Joshua, meanwhile poured cold water on the idea on Tuesday.
Asked where he now saw Joshua’s place in the heavyweight pecking order, Wilder replied: “I haven’t even thought about Joshua. They’re getting what they deserve.”
Negotiations over a possible Wilder-Joshua showdown stalled earlier this year.

If the rematch does go ahead then the winner will likely face Anthony Joshua in a mega fight. 


Wilder’s camp maintain they offered $50 million to Joshua to accept a fight, a gambit dismissed by the British boxer’s manager Eddie Hearn as a “wonderful PR move.”
“They felt like they was the only people in boxing or the heavyweight division that people cared about,” Wilder said of the Joshua camp. “We don’t care about him no more.
“They had their opportunity. They had four months to have their opportunity. But they led people on. Their ego got the best of them.
“So let them continue to fight the second tier fighters.”
Wilder also dismissed criticism of the scoring of Saturday’s fight, adamant that Fury had not done enough to win.
“He was landing some punches but most of them was pitty-patter, they didn’t affect me,” Wilder said.
“When you coming in here fighting the champion, you’ve got to be dominant. You’ve got to take the title, and I don’t think Fury took the title. I felt like I won that fight, totally.”


Kyrgios withdraws from French Open, citing illness

Updated 24 May 2019
0

Kyrgios withdraws from French Open, citing illness

  • Roger Federer plays down chances of his winning the mega title

PARIS: After a tantrum in Italy last week, Nick Kyrgios withdrew from the French Open on Friday.

The ATP said the Australian player cited illness as the reason.

Last week at the Italian Open, the 36th-ranked Kyrgios was defaulted and fined during his second-round match after an outburst of rage. Trailing against Norwegian qualifier Casper Ruud, Kyrgios slammed his racket to the clay and kicked a water bottle. Then he picked up a white chair and flung it onto the court.

Kyrgios was fined and lost ATP points but escaped suspension and was expected to play in Paris.

His withdrawal came only days after Kyrgios posted a video online in which he said the French Open “sucks” when compared to Wimbledon, where he trained recently.

In 2015, Kyrgios insulted Stan Wawrinka with crude remarks during a match in Montreal. He was fined $12,500 and given a suspended 28-day ban. He also attracted criticism for deciding not to play at the Olympics because of a spat with an Australian team official, and for firing back at retired players who have offered advice.

Also on Friday, Roger Federer played down his chances of winning the French Open on his first appearance at Roland Garros since 2015, saying that title-winning form might not be “in his racquet.”

The 20-time Grand Slam champion missed the French Open in 2016 through injury before sitting out the next two clay-court seasons in order to focus on Wimbledon.

But he will make his Roland Garros return on Sunday with a first-round tie against unheralded Italian Lorenzo Sonego.

Federer admitted that he is unsure of his title chances, but did compare his current situation with when he ended a five-year Grand Slam drought at the Australian Open in 2017.

“(I) don’t know (if I can win the tournament). A bit of a question mark for me. Some ways I feel similar to maybe the Australian Open in ‘17,” the 2009 French Open winner said.

“A bit of the unknown. I feel like I’m playing good tennis, but is it enough against the absolute top guys when it really comes to the crunch? I’m not sure if it’s in my racquet.

“But I hope I can get myself in that position deep down in the tournament against the top guys. But first I need to get there and I know that’s a challenge in itself.”

Despite being the third seed, Federer faces a tricky draw, with a possible quarter-final against Greek youngster Stefanos Tsitsipas — who beat him in the Australian Open last 16 — and a potential last-four clash with 11-time champion and old adversary Rafael Nadal.

Meanwhile, Nadal said on Friday that he “doesn’t care” if he is the red-hot favorite to lift a record-extending 12th French Open title, insisting that there are a host of players in contention for the trophy.

The world number two holds an incredible French Open win-loss record of 86-2, and hit top form by winning his ninth Italian Open last week with a final victory over old rival Novak Djokovic.