Two British soldiers injured in Syria Daesh missile attack

The soldiers were wounded in an attack in Deir Ezzor. (AFP file photo)
Updated 06 January 2019
0

Two British soldiers injured in Syria Daesh missile attack

  • The two British soldiers were transported by helicopter to receive medical care: Rami Abdel

BEIRUT: Two British soldiers were wounded Saturday in eastern Syria by a missile fired by the Daesh group, an NGO said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the pair were part of the the international anti-jihadist coalition, led by the United States.
“The two British soldiers were transported by helicopter to receive medical care,” the observatory’s director Rami Abdel told AFP.
A Kurdish fighter from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) died in the attack in the village of Al-Shaafa in Deir Ezzor province, one of the last pockets of territory still controlled by Daesh in the Euphrates River valley.
The SDF, a coalition dominated by Kurdish fighters, has spearheaded the fight against Daesh, supported by several Western countries including the United Kingdom.
The international alliance seized the key Daesh holdout of Hajjin in December after months of fighting that has seen the jihadists launch vicious counter-attacks.
Daesh, which once controlled swathes of Syria and Iraq, has been pounded by multiple offensives.
Since September, more than 1,000 jihadists have been killed in the fighting compared with just under 600 SDF members while 15,000 people have fled Hajjin, according to the Observatory.
Last month US president Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of around 2,000 soldiers from Syria, deployed to support the SDF, claiming Daesh had been defeated.
The Syrian war, which began in 2011, has caused more than 370,000 deaths and forced millions of people to flee their homes.


Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

Updated 20 July 2019
0

Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

  • The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh
  • This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory”

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s military said Saturday its troops in partnership with security agencies and paramilitary forces launched the second phase of an operation aimed at clearing remnants of the Daesh group from north of Baghdad and surrounding areas.
This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory,” which started two weeks earlier and targeted the area along the border with Syria. The military said the new target area is north of Baghdad and in the Diyala, Salahuddin and Anbar provinces.
Although Iraq declared victory against Daesh in July 2017, the extremists have turned into an insurgency and continue to carry out deadly attacks in the country.
The military said Iraqi troops, Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces, the federal police and others are taking part in the operation supported by the Iraqis and the U.S-led international coalition.
On Saturday, Iraq’s Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi visited the operation room alongside the deputy head of the PMF, Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis.
Earlier this month, the Iraqi government moved to place the Iranian-backed militias under the command of the armed forces. The move was believed to be an attempt to curb the powerful militias, particularly amid rising tension between Iran and the US, the power brokers in Iraq.
The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh and are a significant political force, with government ministers and 48 seats in the 329-member parliament.