Young Saudis help families with ‘winter warmth’ campaign

As the winter cold bites, teams of young Saudi volunteers have collected donations ranging from clothing and blankets to heating stoves. (SPA/File)
Updated 07 January 2019
0

Young Saudis help families with ‘winter warmth’ campaign

  • The “winter warmth” scheme aims to support 1,000 families
  • The campaign received about half-a-million pieces of clothing last year

JEDDAH: A clothes “shop” with a difference is operating this winter in Riyadh. Families can fill their shopping cart with whatever they need to stay warm — but they pay nothing.

Teams of young Saudi volunteers have collected donations ranging from clothing and blankets to heating stoves, and carried out any repairs needed to make everything as good as new.

The “winter warmth” scheme is being run for a fifth year by the Ehtiwa' Voluntary Foundation, and aims to support 1,000 families.

“We cooperated with a charity to reach families from the cities and towns around Riyadh city because the weather is colder in those areas and more people with a lower material situation are found there,” Ashwaq Al-Nashwan, a member of Ehtiwa's board of directors, told Arab News.  

“What distinguishes our work is that the family does not get the clothes delivered to their houses. Instead, they come and fill their shopping cart with what they need.”

The campaign received about half-a-million pieces of clothing last year, and they are aiming to reach the same number this year. 

The foundation was established seven years ago, and aims to serve all classes and groups of Saudi society, strengthening social bonds.

“It carries out social, cultural and educational activities, supports programs for children, and Eid parties for foreign communities in Saudi Arabia. Our target is all the components of the community of Saudi Arabia,” Al-Nashwan said.


Saudi Arabia ‘strongly condemns’ Houthi attack on Yemen UN monitors

Updated 18 January 2019
0

Saudi Arabia ‘strongly condemns’ Houthi attack on Yemen UN monitors

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia on Friday strongly condemned the targeting of “UN personnel by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Yemen” after cease-fire monitors came under fire.
The attack took place on Thursday in Hodeidah, where a truce agreed in talks in Sweden came into force last month.
The Houthi militia “have violated their signed commitments in Stockholm and continue to flout international law and escalate their aggression against the Yemeni people,” Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador to the United States Prince Khalid bin Salman tweeted on Friday.


The UN said one round of small arms fire struck a UN-marked armored vehicle that was part of convoy carrying chief monitor Patrick Cammaert.
The UN monitors arrived in Hodeida — the entry point for the bulk of Yemen’s imports — on Dec. 23. The UN Security Council this week agreed to expand the force to 75 monitors.