Saudi Aramco chief Amin Nasser sets out roadmap for IPO in 2021

The head of Saudi Aramco, pictured here at Davos 2017, has laid out a roadmap leading to the sale of shares in the world’s biggest oil company in 2021. (WEF)
Updated 27 January 2019
0

Saudi Aramco chief Amin Nasser sets out roadmap for IPO in 2021

  • ‘The IPO is going to happen. There is no doubt the commitment is there,’ CEO tells Arab News
  • Aramco considering a major acquisition in the global gas industry

DAVOS: The head of Saudi Aramco has laid out a roadmap leading to the sale of shares in the world’s biggest oil company in 2021.
“It’s going to happen,” president and chief executive Amin Nasser told Arab News. “There is no doubt the commitment is there, and it was also further confirmed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and by the Minister of Energy Khalid Al-Falih.”
The initial public offering — potentially the biggest stock-market flotation in history — will require careful coordination over the next two years, he said.

----------

FULL ARAB NEWS INTERVIEW WITH AMIN NASSER HERE

----------

The first stage is to complete the acquisition of SABIC, the Kingdom’s industrial giant, to transform Aramco into a major player in the global petrochemicals industry.
“That will take almost until the end of 2019, or maybe a little bit more; we don’t know because you need approval from a lot of countries where SABIC has major operations,” Nasser said.
“After that you need a minimum of one year to … show what is the impact on our balance sheet — because the investors will want to see. Then you can go to the market.”
Aramco is also considering a major acquisition in the global gas industry, with potential targets in the US, Russia and Australia, Nasser revealed.
“The team is identifying opportunities and we’re at the stage of reviewing them in detail before we announce anything.”


FlyDubai ends 2018 with $43.5m loss

Updated 57 sec ago
0

FlyDubai ends 2018 with $43.5m loss

  • FlyDubai CEO Ghaith Al-Ghaith: In line with expectations, 2018 was a challenging year, however we have continued to invest in our capacity and increased revenue
  • The carrier flew 11 million passengers last year, slightly up from the 10.9 million it flew in 2017

DUBAI: The Dubai government-owned budget carrier FlyDubai said on Wednesday that its revenues increased to $1.7 billion in 2018, though the airline ended the year with a loss of $43.5 million.
The airline that flies out of both Dubai International Airport and Dubai World Central’s Al Maktoum International Airport blamed fuel costs, rising interest rates and “unfavorable currency exchange movements” for the loss. It had made $1.5 billion in revenue in 2017, earning a narrow profit of $10 million that year. “In line with expectations, 2018 was a challenging year, however we have continued to invest in our capacity and increased revenue,” FlyDubai CEO Ghaith Al-Ghaith said.
FlyDubai, which now has a code-share deal and tighter relationship with Dubai’s long-haul carrier Emirates, offers bargain flights to locations both served and not by its well-known elder sibling. FlyDubai began operations nearly 10 years ago and its 4,000 staff now serve over 90 destinations.
The carrier flew 11 million passengers last year, slightly up from the 10.9 million it flew in 2017.