Michael Jackson family condemns new documentary on accusers

The family insists that truth and evidence are on their side. (File/AP)
Updated 28 January 2019
0

Michael Jackson family condemns new documentary on accusers

  • The family points out that Jackson was subjected to a thorough investigation but was still acquitted in a 2005 trial
  • The film’s director Dan Reed has said he has no doubts about the accusers' validity

LOS ANGELES: Michael Jackson’s family members said Monday that they are “furious” that two men who accuse him of sexually abusing them as boys have received renewed attention because of a new documentary about them.
The family released a statement denouncing “Leaving Neverland,” a documentary film featuring Jackson accusers Wade Robson and James Safechuck that premiered last week at the Sundance Film Festival and is set to air in the spring on HBO and the UK’s Channel 4.
“Michael always turned the other cheek, and we have always turned the other cheek when people have gone after members of our family — that is the Jackson way,” the statement said. “But we can’t just stand by while this public lynching goes on.... Michael is not here to defend himself, otherwise these allegations would not have been made.”
The family points out that Jackson was subjected to a thorough investigation which included a surprise raid of his home, the Neverland Ranch, but was still acquitted at his criminal trial in 2005, in a case involving another young man.
Robson testified at that trial, saying he had slept in Jackson’s room many times, but that Jackson had never molested him. Safechuck made similar statements to investigators as a boy. Jackson died in 2009.
Both men filed lawsuits in 2013 saying stress and trauma had forced them to face the truth and admit they were sexually abused. The suits have been thrown out on technical grounds but are under appeal.
The Jackson statement calls the men “perjurers” because of this reversal, saying the family is “furious” that media outlets without evidence have chosen “to believe the word of two admitted liars over the word of hundreds of families and friends around the world who spent time with Michael.”
The film’s director Dan Reed has said he has no doubts about the men’s validity.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault unless they come forward publicly, which Robson and Safechuck have done on multiple occasions.
The family insists that truth and evidence are on their side.
“We are proud of what Michael Jackson stands for,” the statement said.


Adele, Simon Konecki have separated

Adele, Simon Konecki have separated. (Twitter)
Updated 20 April 2019
0

Adele, Simon Konecki have separated

  • Adele gave birth to her son, Angelo, in 2012

NEW YORK: Adele and her husband Simon Konecki have separated.
The pop singer's representatives Benny Tarantini and Carl Fysh confirmed the news Friday in a statement to The Associated Press.
"Adele and her partner have separated," the emailed statement said. "They are committed to raising their son together lovingly. As always they ask for privacy. There will be no further comment."
Adele gave birth to their son, Angelo, in 2012.
The Grammy-winning British superstar has been private about her relationship, but confirmed she married Konecki when she won album of the year at the 2017 Grammys. In her acceptance speech, she said: "Grammys, I appreciate it. The Academy, I love you. My manager, my husband and my son — you're the only reason I do it."
Konecki co-founded Life Water, an eco-friendly brand of bottled water in the U.K. Funds from the company assists the charity that Konecki runs, Drop4Drop, which provides clean water to countries in need.
A representative for Konecki could not be reached.