US-backed Syria force says captures foreign militants ‘daily’

Fighters from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) gather in the front line village of Baghouz in the countryside of the eastern Syrian Deir Ezzor province, on the border with Iraq, on February 2, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 07 February 2019
0

US-backed Syria force says captures foreign militants ‘daily’

  • Daesh is clinging to a tiny sliver of its once sprawling “caliphate” and many residents are fleeing and turning themselves in ahead of a final offensive
  • A spokesman for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, Mustafa Bali, said Daesh fighters were hiding among the fleeing civilians

BEIRUT: US-backed forces in Syria said Wednesday they were detaining foreign Daesh group fighters on a “daily basis,” days after confirming the capture of German militants Martin Lemke.
AFP reported Lemke’s capture last week after speaking to two of his wives who said they had fled together from the militant group’s final pocket of territory in eastern Syria.
Daesh is clinging to a tiny sliver of its once sprawling “caliphate” and many residents are fleeing and turning themselves in ahead of a final offensive.
A spokesman for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, Mustafa Bali, said Daesh fighters were hiding among the fleeing civilians.
“On a daily basis, we are arresting foreign Daesh fighters,” he told AFP, declining to provide further details on Lemke’s arrest.
The SDF has captured at least 50 foreign Daesh fighters over the past three weeks, Kurdish foreign affairs official Abdel Karim Omar told AFP on Wednesday.
The SDF announced Lemke’s capture in a statement posted on their website on Monday.
It said two other militants had also been captured, identifying them as Egyptian national Hussein Fardid and Saudi Arabian militant Salem Al-Shamrani.
The three were detained following “two special operations” on January 25 and February 1, it added.
Investigations published in German newspapers portray Lemke, who is believed to be 28, as an influential figure among foreign militants in Syria.
German newspaper Die Zeit reported in December 2017 that Lemke had arrived in Raqqa, then de facto Syrian capital of the militants proto-state, in November 2014 and joined the Hisbah (Islamic police).
He is believed to have later become a member of the feared “Amniyat” — the jihadist group’s intelligence service.
Lemke’s third wife, a German national who gave her name as Leonora, told AFP at a screening center in the province of Deir Ezzor last week that Lemke, his second wife and herself had fled the fighting together.
“We gave up together,” the 19-year-old said in English, adding that Lemke arrived with her at the center run by the SDF.
More than 37,000 people, mostly women and children from jihadist families, have fled Daesh territory since the SDF, backed by the US-led coalition, intensified its offensive against the militant in December, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The Britain-based war monitor has said that figure includes some 3,200 militant.
Kurdish authorities say they have in their custody hundreds of foreign male Daesh members.
They allegedly include several German Daesh members, such as Mohammad Haydar Zammar, a Syrian-born German national accused of helping plan the September 11 attacks, and 36-year-old militant Sufyan, who traveled to Syria in 2015 to join the group.
Suspected militants captured by the SDF are usually eager to be sent home.
The Kurdish administration in northeastern Syria also wants to send the prisoners back for trial, but governments in their countries of origin are often reluctant.
The SDF and the German government “are not in official talks” to repatriate German militant or their families, the Kurdish foreign affairs official said, adding that Germany has not offered to repatriate its citizens.


US Mideast plan will not include land transfer from Egypt’s Sinai: envoy

Updated 20 April 2019
0

US Mideast plan will not include land transfer from Egypt’s Sinai: envoy

JERUSALEM: US President Donald Trump’s Middle East peace plan will not involve giving land from Egypt’s Sinai peninsula to the Palestinians, an American envoy said on Friday.
Jason Greenblatt, Trump’s Middle East envoy, apparently sought to deny reports on social media that the long-awaited plan to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict would involve extending Gaza into the northern Sinai along Egypt’s Mediterranean coast.
“Hearing reports our plan includes the concept that we will give a portion of Sinai (which is Egypt’s) to Gaza. False!,” Greenblatt, one of the architects of the proposal, tweeted on Friday.
The American plan is expected to be unveiled once Israel’s newly re-elected Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu forms a government coalition and after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which ends in June.
Trump’s senior adviser Jared Kushner said on Wednesday the plan would require compromise by all parties, a source familiar with his remarks said.
It is unclear whether the plan will propose outright the creation of a Palestinian state, the Palestinians’ core demand.
The Palestinians have long sought to set up a state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, territory Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East War, with East Jerusalem as its capital.
The last round of US-brokered peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians broke down in 2014.