Jordan sentences 2 to hang for Daesh-claimed Karak attack

Jordanian policemen leave after ending security operations in the vicinity of Karak Castle, where armed gunmen carried out an attack yesterday, in the city of Karak, Jordan, December 19, 2016. (Reuters)
Updated 10 February 2019
0

Jordan sentences 2 to hang for Daesh-claimed Karak attack

  • A military tribunal ordered Khalid Al-Majali and Hamza Al-Majali to be “hanged to death”
  • The two brothers were initially charged, along with eight others, with “terrorist acts,” illegal possession of arms and producing explosives

AMMAN: A Jordanian court sentenced two brothers to death on Sunday in connection with a 2016 attack claimed by the Daesh group, overturning a life sentence handed to the men last year.
The shooting attack in Karak, home to one of the region’s largest Crusader castles, killed seven policemen and two Jordanian civilians as well as a female Canadian tourist, and wounded 34 other people.
The head of the kingdom’s state security court, a military tribunal, ordered Khalid Al-Majali and Hamza Al-Majali to be “hanged to death.”
Jordan’s cassation court, the kingdom’s highest judicial body, reversed a November ruling which sentenced the two to life behind bars.
“The actions of the defendants caused chaos, panic and horror among Jordanians and foreign tourists and threatened the country’s security and stability,” a judicial source told AFP.
The two brothers were initially charged, along with eight others, with “terrorist acts,” illegal possession of arms and producing explosives.
Three were sentenced to 15 years in prison and five others to serve three years in jail.
Courts in Jordan, the target of several deadly attacks, regularly put on trial suspected extremists.
A close ally of Washington, the desert kingdom is part of a US-led coalition fighting Daesh in neighboring Syria and Iraq, and it allows coalition forces to use its bases.


US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

Updated 54 min 42 sec ago
0

US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.
Reuters first reported plans to send US additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.
Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”