FaceOf: Rayan Mustafa Qutub, CEO of the Ports Development Co. at KSA’s KAEC

Rayan Mustafa Qutub
Updated 12 February 2019
0

FaceOf: Rayan Mustafa Qutub, CEO of the Ports Development Co. at KSA’s KAEC

  • Qutub graduated with a bachelor’s in business administration, and attended executive education programs at prestigious universities such as Oxford, Harris-Stowe State, and Harvard
  • He was at Unilever for 10 years between 1998 and 2008 in a number of roles

Rayan Mustafa Qutub is CEO of the Ports Development Co. at King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC) which, when completed, will be one of the world’s top 10 ports.

He has held this job since December 2017 and has also been chairman of marine services at KAEC since January 2018. His professional experience spans more than two decades with major regional and international companies including Savola, Unilever, and Emaar The Economic City.

He previously served as CEO of KAEC’s Industrial Valley, which attracted more than 120 leading companies and brands during his four-year tenure. He led and supervised several projects including the development of residential districts and medical and educational institutions including The World Academy.

He was at Unilever for 10 years between 1998 and 2008 in a number of roles, and was brand manager at Savola for more than two years.

Qutub graduated with a bachelor’s in business administration, and attended executive education programs at prestigious universities such as Oxford, Harris-Stowe State, and Harvard.

During the launch of King Abdullah Port on Monday, Qutub told Arab News: “When we talk about King Abdullah Port, we are talking about (the reform plan) Vision 2030.”

Qutub said the port would establish the Kingdom as a platform for the region.

“The countries of East Africa are the new China, the next huge neighboring economy, and we can now exchange exports and imports, and offer logistic services to them and the world as a whole,” he said.


Arab coalition working to protect region’s security, says spokesman

Coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki at a press briefing. (SPA file photo)
Updated 19 March 2019
0

Arab coalition working to protect region’s security, says spokesman

  • Houthis want to disturb peace, says coalition spokesman
  • Stockholm peace agreement under strain

RIYADH: The Arab coalition supporting the internationally recognized Yemeni government is committed to protecting regional and global security, a spokesman said Monday.

Coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki was asked at a press briefing about Houthi militias threatening to target the capitals of Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

“This is their way to disturb peace,” Al-Maliki replied. “Previously the Houthis targeted Riyadh with a ballistic missile, violating all international laws by attacking a city that has more than 8 million civilians. We take all precautions to protect civilians and vital areas. The coalition works to protect regional and international security.”

Al-Maliki said Houthis had targeted Saudi border towns several times, the most recent incident taking place in Abha last Friday.

But the Saudi Royal Air Defense Force had shot down a drone that was targeting civilians, he added.

He said four Saudi nationals and an Indian expatriate were injured in the attack because of falling debris.

The drone wreckage showed the characteristics and specifications of Iranian manufacturing, he said, which proved Iran was continuing to smuggle arms to the militias.

He warned the Houthis to refrain from targeting civilians because the coalition, in line with international humanitarian law, had every right to counter such threats.

He said the coalition was making efforts to neutralize ballistic missiles and dismantle their capabilities, as the coalition’s joint command would not allow the militia to possess weapons that threatened civilian lives and peace.

Al-Maliki reiterated that the Houthis were targeting Yemeni civilians and continued to violate international laws. 

He also urged Yemenis to try their best to prevent children from being captured by Houthis, who were using them as human shields and child soldiers.

His comments came as the UN tried to salvage a peace deal that was seen as crucial for ending the country’s four-year war.

The Stockholm Agreement was signed by the Yemeni government and Houthi representatives last December.

The main points of the agreement were a prisoner exchange, steps toward a cease-fire in the city of Taiz, and a cease-fire agreement in the city of Hodeidah and its port, as well as ports in Salif and Ras Issa.

Militants triggered the conflict when they seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and attempted to occupy large parts of the country. An Arab coalition intervened in support of the internationally recognized government in March 2015.

The World Health Organization estimates that nearly 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since 2015.

Earlier this month US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that President Donald Trump’s administration opposed curbs on American assistance to the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

“The way to alleviate the Yemeni people’s suffering isn’t to prolong the conflict by handicapping our partners in the fight, but by giving the Saudi-led coalition the support needed to defeat the Iranian-backed rebels and ensure a just peace,” Pompeo said at a news conference in Washington.