Saudi Arabia looking to strike it lucky at Arab Bowling Championship in Cairo

The Saudi side landed in Egypt in confident mood. (Supplied)
Updated 15 February 2019
0

Saudi Arabia looking to strike it lucky at Arab Bowling Championship in Cairo

  • Men and women's teams hopeful ahead of regional competition.

LONDON: The Saudi Arabia men and women’s bowling teams landed in Cairo confident they could make their mark on the Arab Bowling Championship which starts today.
The men’s outfit head into the competition on the back of international success last year. Abdulrahman Alkhelawi is one of the stars looking to build on an impressive 2018, having shot up to third in the rankings after his success in the World Youth Championship last year.
The team also includes Hassan Al-Alsheikh — who delivered gold and bronze in the trio event at the eighth Arab Bowling Championship held in Oman — and Ammar Tirad, who was ranked first in the Hong Kong Open Bowling Championship.
Bader Al-Alsheikh, president of the Saudi Arabia Bowling Federation (SBF), is hopeful that the team can make more strides this week.
“The team underwent a training camp in Riyadh before going to the Universal Bowling Center in Riyadh in preparation for this competition,” he said. “They have been supervised by a professional technical team to ensure they give their best. I wish the team all the best in their competition.”
For the women’s side the tournament will offer another stepping stone and provide a good exposure of top-class bowling, as it is still very inexperienced at the international level. Not only that, but it should act as yet another boost to female participation in the sport.
“The women’s team has inspired many new fans already,” said Dr. Razan Baker, SBF board member and supervisor of the women’s team.
“We never knew how many women loved bowling until the SBF kicked off the three women bowling tournaments last October and women of all ages started showing up. They are setting an example and hopefully inspiring many more to love the game and excel in it.”


Saudia E-Prix returns to Ad Diriyah with double header

Updated 24 June 2019
0

Saudia E-Prix returns to Ad Diriyah with double header

  • The event will take place on Nov. 22 and 23
  • Two major races will take place in this year’s E-Prix, which made its Middle East debut in the Kingdom last year

DUBAI: The Saudia Ad Diriyah E-Prix is set to bring two races and more global acts in Saudi Arabia on Nov. 22 and 23, adding twice the excitement to a historic event held at UNESCO world heritage site, according to the General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia (GSA).

“This year we look forward to igniting an even bigger season of motor racing for Formula E, we’re ready to welcome even more international visitors, and create another unforgettable moment for our people,” Prince Abdul Aziz bin Turki Al-Faisal, Chairman of the GSA, said in a statement.

Two major races will take place in this year’s E-Prix, which made its Middle East debut in the Kingdom last year with only one race. Music icons such as David Guetta, Enrique Iglesias, One Republic and the Black-Eyed Peas performed during the event. It was reportedly attended by some 60,000 people.

“This year sees even more teams enter the Formula E championship, with Porsche and Mercedes entering the fray. Last year Ad Diriyah was the launchpad for the new Gen 2 race cars and the exciting Attack Zone innovation. This year will be the first-time drivers will have an additional 10kW of power available when using that Attack Mode, rising from 225kW to 235kW,” Prince Khalid bin Sultan Al Faisal Al Saud, President of the Saudi Arabian Motor Federation (SAMF), said.

“Add to that, a double header – two races instead of one - with a total of 24 cars competing. This will fire up Saudi Arabia’s passion for motorsports and we are ready to welcome Formula E back,” he added.

The GSA is expecting crowds of up to 100,000 people to attend the E-Prix, given the improvements in the visa processing for tourists.

The 2019 Saudia Ad Diriyah E-Prix will be the second year of a 10-year partnership between ABB FIA Formula E and the GSA and the SAMF.