Saudi Arabia condemns terrorist attack on Egyptian troops in North Sinai

A Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs source condemned an attack in which fifteen Egyptian military personnel were either killed or wounded on Saturday in North Sinai (File/ AFP)
Updated 16 February 2019
0

Saudi Arabia condemns terrorist attack on Egyptian troops in North Sinai

JEDDAH: A Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs source condemned an attack in which fifteen Egyptian military personnel were either killed or wounded on Saturday in North Sinai, Saudi Press Agency reported.
The breakdown of military casualties was not immediately clear, but seven militants were confirmed to have been killed in the clash. Daesh later claimed responsibility for the attack on its news agency AMAQ.
The source added that the Kingdom stands with Egypt in its fight against terrorism and offered its condolences to the victims’ families and the Egyptian people.
Security forces launched a campaign a year ago against militants focused on Egypt's Sinai peninsula, and say they have killed several hundred militants since then.
Since 2013, militants have repeatedly targeted security checkpoints and Egypt's Christian minority.


Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

  • Houthis also fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah on Monday

RIYADH: Houthi militants had tried to hit a civilian facility in Saudi Arabia's southern border province of Najran with a drone carrying explosives, the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen's legitimate government said on Tuesday.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition said the target was a vital facility.
"The Houthi-backed terrorist militia of Iran continues to carry out acts of terrorism that pose a real threat to regional and international security by targeting civilian objects and civilian facilities, as well as civilian citizens and residents of all nationalities," Al-Maliki said.

The statement did not mention casualties and gave no further details.

Earlier on Monday, Al-Maliki said Houthis fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah but both were shot down by Saudi air defense forces.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia, including the capital Riyadh, since the Arab Coalition intervened in 2015 to restore the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which was ousted in a Houthi coup.