France snubs Trump’s appeal to repatriate Daesh fighters en masse, for now

Above, activists hold a banner reading ‘Protect the French against Daesh’ near a makeshift memorial set-up on October 2, 2017 in Marseille. French government policy had been to categorically refuse to take back Daesh fighters and their wives. (AFP)
Updated 18 February 2019
0

France snubs Trump’s appeal to repatriate Daesh fighters en masse, for now

  • US-backed fighters appear poised to capture Daesh’s last enclave in Syria
  • French government policy had been to categorically refuse to take back Daesh fighters and their wives

PARIS: France will for now not act on US President Donald Trump’s call for European allies to repatriate hundreds of Daesh fighters from Syria, taking back militants on a “case-by-case” basis, its justice minister said on Monday.
US-backed fighters appear poised to capture Daesh’s last enclave in Syria and Trump on Saturday pressed France, Britain and Germany to bring home more than 800 captured Daesh fighters and put them on trial.
Trump has sworn to pull US forces from Syria after Daesh’s territorial defeat, raising concerns in Paris and other European capitals that militants from their countries could disperse and try to return to their home countries.
“There is a new geo-political context, with the US withdrawal. For the time being we are not changing our policy,” Belloubet told France 2 television. “At this stage France is not responding to (Trump’s) demands.”
French government policy had been to categorically refuse to take back fighters and their wives. Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian referred to them as “enemies” of the nation who should face justice either in Syria or Iraq.
But the prospect of the United States’ withdrawal from Syria has forced France to prepare for the return of dozens of French militants held by US-backed Kurdish authorities, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner acknowledged in late January.
Paris is already trying to repatriate minors on a case-by-case basis.
The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces are holding about 150 French citizens in northeastern Syria, including 50 adults, military and diplomatic sources say.
Germany, too, was cool toward Trump’s demands, saying it could only take back Daesh fighters if the suspects had consular access.


UN team to investigate ‘horrific’ massacre in central Mali

Updated 26 March 2019
0

UN team to investigate ‘horrific’ massacre in central Mali

  • UN human rights office spokeswoman says the massacre in Ogossagou, in Mali’s Mopti region, mostly targeted people from the ethnic Fulani, or Peuhl, community

GENEVA: The United Nations is deploying crime-scene investigators, human rights officers and a child protection expert to central Mali to investigate intercommunal violence over the weekend that killed more than 150 people, one-third of them children.
Spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani of the UN human rights office says the massacre in Ogossagou, in Mali’s Mopti region, mostly targeted people from the ethnic Fulani, or Peuhl, community.
She said Tuesday the “horrific attacks” signal a “spike in killings” in a cycle of violence in the region that has caused 600 deaths and displaced thousands since last March.
Shamdasani said the attacks appeared to be motivated by an effort to eliminate violent Islamic extremist groups active in Mali, but that “millions of people are being painted as violent extremists simply because they are Muslim.”