SpaceX rocket carrying moon-bound Israeli spacecraft lifts off

1 / 2
This video grab taken from the Space X webcast transmission on Februrary 21, 2019, shows Nusantara Satu satellite lifting off Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) carrying Israel's Beresheet spacecraft at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. (AFP / SPACEX / handout)
2 / 2
In this file photo taken on December 17, 2018, Israeli Aerospace Industries director of Space division Opher Doron speaks in front a spacecraft weighing some 585 kilograms during a presentation by Israeli nonprofit SpaceIL and Israeli state-owned Aerospace Industries, in Yehud, east of Tel Aviv. (AFP / JACK GUEZ)
Updated 22 February 2019
0

SpaceX rocket carrying moon-bound Israeli spacecraft lifts off

  • Israel's spacecraft is scheduled to land on the moon landing on April 11

WASHINGTON: A SpaceX rocket took off from Florida’s Cape Canaveral on Thursday night carrying Israel’s Beresheet spacecraft, which aims to make history twice: as the first private-sector landing on the Moon, and the first from the Jewish state.
The start of the flight went smoothly, with the first stage entry burn completed uneventfully less than three minutes after lift-off.
The moon landing is scheduled for seven weeks’ time, on April 11.


At least 11 wounded in Somalia Al-Shabab claimed attack

Updated 16 min 56 sec ago
0

At least 11 wounded in Somalia Al-Shabab claimed attack

  • Authorities have not said if there are any deaths in the attack
  • The extremist group is fighting against foreign influences which they see as heretic

MOGADISHU: At least 11 people were wounded when gunmen set off explosions and stormed government ministries in Somalia’s capital Saturday in an attack claimed by the Al-Shabab extremist group, police said.
“There can be others inside but we have so far collected eleven people wounded in the attack,” said Abdukadir Abdirahman Adan, director of the Aamin ambulance service in the capital Mogadishu.
Police say the assault began when two explosions were set off near the ministries of public works and labor.
Gunmen entered the buildings following the blasts.
“The security forces rescued many of the staff from the buildings and they are still engaging some gunmen who managed to enter the building after the blast,” said security commander Ahmed Adan.
It remained unclear if there were any deaths in the attack.
The attack was claimed by the Al-Shabab extremist group, which is fighting an armed insurrection in Somalia against what it sees as heretic and foreign influence.
Attacks that use a combination of bombs and gunmen have become a hallmark of the insurgents.
Earlier this month, at least 20 people died in an attack in Mogadishu which saw Al-Shabab extremists battling security forces for nearly 24 hours.
The group also claimed responsibility for a March 7 car bombing near a restaurant in the capital that killed four people.