Five children killed in attack in Yemen’s Hodeidah: UN

More than 6,000 children have died or been maimed in Yemen since the beginning of the war, according to UNICEF. (AFP)
Updated 03 March 2019
0

Five children killed in attack in Yemen’s Hodeidah: UN

  • The Red Sea province of Hodeidah has witnessed some of the Yemen war’s most intense fighting
  • The Yemen conflict has triggered what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis

DUBAI: Five Yemeni children were killed in an attack on their home in flashpoint Hodeidah province, the UN and medics said, months into a cease-fire agreed by the government and rebels.
The UN children’s agency (UNICEF) said that the five children were “playing at home” when they were killed on Thursday.
It did not give details on the nature of the attack or the perpetrators.
“Each day, eight children are killed or injured across 31 active conflict zones in the country,” UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore said in a statement Saturday.
Medics in the Tuhayta district, in southern Hodeidah, on Sunday confirmed that they had transferred dead and wounded children to a hospital in the government-held Khokha district nearby.
The Red Sea province of Hodeidah has witnessed some of the Yemen war’s most intense fighting, which has eased since the government and Houthi rebels agreed to a cease-fire in the area in December.
The Iran-backed Houthis have battled the government and its allies in a coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates for control of the impoverished country for four years.
Hodeidah, held by the rebels since 2014, has witnessed intermittent clashes between the Houthis and pro-government forces since the ceasefire went into effect on December 18.
Around 10,000 people — mostly civilians — have been killed and more than 60,000 in the conflict, according to the World Health Organization.
Rights groups say the real figure could be five times as high.
The conflict has triggered what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with more than 10 million people at risk of starvation.
Over 24 million Yemenis — more than three quarters of the country’s population — are now dependent on some form of aid for survival, according to the UN.


US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

Updated 3 min ago
0

US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.
Reuters first reported plans to send US additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.
Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”