Egypt’s Pyramids FC donates 10 million pounds for train crash victims 

Fire fighters and onlookers gather at the scene of a fiery train crash at the Egyptian capital Cairo's main railway station on February 27, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 04 March 2019
0

Egypt’s Pyramids FC donates 10 million pounds for train crash victims 

  • The crash, which left 22 people dead and dozens injured, took place in Cairo's Ramses Station Feb. 27

CAIRO: Egyptian football club Pyramids FC announced a 10 million Egyptian pound donation for the victims of a deadly train crash that hit Egypt last week. 

In a statement issued on Sunday, the club said its owner, Saudi investor Turki Al-Sheikh, had donated the amount to the families. 

The statement said Al-Sheikh and the board of directors aimed to offer a helping hand for the families and alleviate the suffering of those injured.

The crash, which left 22 people dead and dozens injured, took place in Cairo's Ramses Station Feb. 27.

A train, with no driver on board, was seen moving at an extremely high speed and crashing into the platform’s buffer stop. 

A large number of citizens were rushed into hospitals where the victims were being treated to donate blood in the aftermath of the crash. 

Other reports also claimed that Egyptian Star Mohamed Mounir will be donating a percentage of his recent concert profits to the Ahl Masr Foundation and the Egyptian Blood Bank, which have been supporting the incident’s victims since then. 


Saudi-led Coalition forces raid two caves used by Houthis to hide drones in Yemen

Updated 7 min 16 sec ago
0

Saudi-led Coalition forces raid two caves used by Houthis to hide drones in Yemen

  • The caves were located in Sanaa, capital of Yemen, says Coalition spokesman
  • Houthis had been launching rockets and drones toward Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Saudi-led Coalition forces have raided two caves being used by the Houthi militia in Yemen’s capital Sanaa to hide drones, the  military alliance's spokesman said on Sunday.

“The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition has conducted a military operation tonight to destroy two legitimate military targets; consisting of two caves used by the Houthi militia to store UAVs, and use them in terrorist operations,” Coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Malki said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

He said the raid was an extension of previous military operations in January and February that targeted the Iran-backed militia's drone network and capabilities and locations of foreign fighters helping the Houthis.

Al-Malki said the military operation was "in accordance with the customary international humanitarian law" and that "all precautionary measures and necessary action" were taken to spare civilians and avoid collateral damage.

The statement did not specify if the attacks were air strikes or by ground forces.

Earlier, Al-Arabiya TV reported raids on Houthi camps in Sanaa, including the Al-Dailami air base.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.

The Coalition-backed Yemeni government and the Houthis reached a cease-fire and troop pullout deal for Hodeidah, the main entry point for most of Yemen’s imports and aid, at talks in Sweden in December. The pact was the first big breakthrough in efforts to end Yemen’s four-year war.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed in the conflict, which pits the Houthis against other Yemeni factions backed by the Saudi-led coalition and loyal to the government of Abed Rabbu Mansour Hadi. The Houthis ousted Hadi’s government from power in Sanaa in late 2014.