Saudi man killed in New Zealand mosque attack

Police officers cordon off the area close to the mosque after a gunman filming himself firing at worshippers inside in Christchurch on March 15, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 18 March 2019
0

Saudi man killed in New Zealand mosque attack

RIYADH: A Saudi citizen has been killed in the terrorist attack on two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch.

The family of Mohsin Al-Mozaini said that he died in the terrorist attack on Friday, Al Arabiya reported. 

More on New Zealand attacks: At least 49 killed as gunman livestreams New Zealand mosque ‘terrorist attacks’

Earlier, Saudi Arabia’s embassy in New Zealand said that two Saudi citizens had been injured in the attack. 

The embassy said in a post on its Twitter account that “it expresses its regret and sorrow at the painful terrorist attacks that took place today in the city of Christchurch, and extends its condolences to the families of those who were killed.” It also wished a speedy recovery for the injured.  

The embassy added that staff will visit the injured in hospital and offer to help them. The embassy is also in touch with New Zealand’s authorities regarding the latest developments in their condition. 


King Salman invites Indonesian centenarian to perform Hajj

Updated 18 July 2019
0

King Salman invites Indonesian centenarian to perform Hajj

  • The man said he and his family can’t financially afford to perform Hajj
  • He was welcomed by the Saudi ambassador to Indonesia

DUBAI: King Salman has invited an Indonesian man, who is reportedly 140 years old, and his family to perform Hajj, the Saudi embassy in Jakarta said on Wednesday.
“The Custodian of the Two Holy mosques invites elderly Indonesian man and his family to perform Hajj,” the embassy tweeted.

The centenarian sent his appeal to King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in a video, asking the Saudi rulers to invite him and his daughters to perform Hajj for the first time, as they were unable to afford it on their own.
Social media users shared his video, in which he and two of his daughters explained their situation in Arabic

The man was hosted by Saudi ambassador to Indonesia Esam Al-Thagafi in Jakarta, who broke the good news to him.
The Saudi rulers saw the video and Hajj authorities will take care of their travels and necessities, Al-Thagafi told the man and his family.

Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam, and Muslims should aim to perform the ritual at least once in their lifetime.