Facebook removes 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mosque attack

The attack was live streamed for 17 minutes on Facebook using an app designed for extreme sports enthusiasts. (AFP/File)
Updated 17 March 2019
0

Facebook removes 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mosque attack

  • Facebook said all edited videos will be removed as well
  • Copies of the video were still being shared on social media after live streaming was done

Facebook Inc. said it removed 1.5 million videos globally of the New Zealand mosque attack in the first 24 hours after the attack.
“In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload...,” Facebook said in a tweet late Saturday.


The company said it is also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content out of respect for the people affected by the mosque shooting and the concerns of local authorities.
The death toll in the New Zealand mosque shootings rose to 50 on Sunday. The gunman who attacked two mosques on Friday live-streamed the attacks on Facebook for 17 minutes using an app designed for extreme sports enthusiasts, with copies still being shared on social media hours later.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said she wants to discuss live streaming with Facebook.

 


Houthi-held Sanaa ‘most dangerous’ for journalists with over 4200 violations

Updated 21 April 2019
0

Houthi-held Sanaa ‘most dangerous’ for journalists with over 4200 violations

  • The report said Houthis killed 22 journalists since the start of the war
  • Houthis committed a total of 4288 violations against the media in Yemen

DUBAI: The Houthi-held capital has been labelled “the most dangerous for journalists and media” by a Yemeni media watch group on Saturday, with 4248 reported violations against the press.

The National Organization of Yemeni Media (SADA) issued a report on the “reality of the Yemeni press during the year of 2018,” which stated that the Houthi militia were responsible for 97 percent of all violations made against the media in Yemen last year that came to 4,364.

Outside of Sanaa, the Houthi militia committed 76 violations against the media, bringing the number to a total of 4288 cases.

Since the Houthi coup in 2014, the militia has been reported to have killed at least 22 journalists through sniping, using them as human shields, and kidnapped 141.

Other violations included “abduction, enforced disappearance, murder, physical assault, targeting of houses, occupation of media institutions, and security prosecution.”