Expat sacked and deported from UAE for praising NZ attacks

This image grab from a self-shot video that was streamed on Facebook Live on March 15, 2019 by the man who carried out the terror attack in the two mosques in Christchurch. (File/AFP)
Updated 20 March 2019
0

Expat sacked and deported from UAE for praising NZ attacks

  • The unnamed man made inflammatory comments supporting the shootings on his Facebook account
  • The man has since been fired and deported back to his country

DUBAI: An employee at a Dubai-based security company was fired and deported for celebrating the deadly New Zealand mosque attacks under a fake identity on Facebook, the group said Wednesday.
“Over the weekend, a Transguard employee made inflammatory comments on his personal Facebook account celebrating the deplorable mosque attack in Christchurch, New Zealand,” the Transguard security group said in a statement.
“Despite posting under a false name, the employee responsible for last weekend’s inflammatory (Facebook) comments has been identified, terminated as per Transguard policy and handed over to the authorities.”
Transguard, which is affiliated with the Emirates Group that includes Emirates Airline, said the man had been deported by the UAE government.
It did not name him or reveal his nationality.
An Australian white supremacist shot dead 50 Muslims praying at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday.
The attacks sparked global revulsion and drew condemnation from the United Arab Emirates.
In a statement following the attacks, the foreign ministry said the UAE stood in “full solidarity with the friendly state of New Zealand to confront extremism and terrorism and... safeguard the security and the safety of its citizens and all residents.”


US-led 2017 blitz on Syria’s Raqqa killed 1,600 civilians

Updated 25 April 2019
0

US-led 2017 blitz on Syria’s Raqqa killed 1,600 civilians

  • The unprecedented investigation was led by Amnesty International and the Airwars monitoring group
  • It urged top coalition members to show more transparency and accountability

BEIRUT: Intensive US-led coalition bombardment on the Syrian city of Raqqa killed more than 1,600 civilians over four months in 2017, according to a report released on Thursday.
The unprecedented investigation, led by Amnesty International and the Airwars monitoring group, urged top coalition members to show more transparency and accountability.
“Many of the air bombardments were inaccurate and tens of thousands of artillery strikes were indiscriminate,” said Donatella Rovera, crisis response adviser at Amnesty.