New Zealand man pleads guilty to abusing Muslims at Christchurch mosque

In this April 5, 2019 photo, an armed police officer (R) stands guard outside the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. Al Noor was one of two mosques where some 50 people were killed by a self-avowed white supremacist gunman on March 15. (AFP file photo)
Updated 12 April 2019

New Zealand man pleads guilty to abusing Muslims at Christchurch mosque

  • Daniel Nicholas Tuapawa was caught on video outside the Al Noor Mosque yelling abusive comments on Muslims
  • He was charged in court with disorderly behavior that was “likely to cause violence"

CHRISTCHURCH: A 33-year-old New Zealand man pleaded guilty Friday to harassing Muslims outside one of the Christchurch mosques where dozens were gunned down in a massacre last month, but said he can’t remember anything about it.
Daniel Nicholas Tuapawa was said to have been shocked and did not realize what he had done until police showed him a video in which he was yelling abusive comments including “all Muslims are terrorists.”
When Tuapawa appeared in court charged with disorderly behavior that was “likely to cause violence,” his lawyer said his client was ashamed of his actions and could not explain how or why it happened, local media reported.
Tuapawa was wearing a shirt emblazoned with the name of US President Donald Trump when he shouted abuse at Muslims outside the Al Noor mosque on Wednesday. He was arrested on Thursday.
Tuapawa was remanded on bail to be sentenced on July 31.
Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a self-avowed white supremacist, has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 of attempted murder after opening fire at Al Noor and a second Christchurch mosque on March 15.


British airports to introduce 3D screening for carry-on bags

UK Border control is seen in Terminal 2 at Heathrow Airport in London June 4, 2014. (REUTERS)
Updated 27 min 18 sec ago

British airports to introduce 3D screening for carry-on bags

  • The screeners already are being used in trials at London’s Heathrow Airport and they will progressively be rolled out to other British airports by Dec. 1, 2022, the government said

LONDON: Putting small containers of liquids in plastic bags could soon be a thing of the past for airline passengers in Britain after the government announced plans Sunday to introduce 3D screening equipment for carry-on luggage at all major airports.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said in a statement that the new technology will improve security and could also mean “an end to passengers having to use plastic bags or rationing what they take away with them.”
Under current security restrictions, passengers are not allowed containers carrying more than 100 milliliters (3.38 fluid ounces) of liquids in their carry-on luggage and the containers have to be in a clear plastic bag.
That could come to an end under the new screening regime and passengers may also be able to keep electrical equipment such as their laptops in their cabin bags.
The screeners already are being used in trials at London’s Heathrow Airport and they will progressively be rolled out to other British airports by Dec. 1, 2022, the government said.
Heathrow CEO John Holland Kaye says the technology “will transform the passenger experience, making air travel simple, streamlined and more secure through the UK’s only hub airport.”