Rare Asian black bear spotted in Korean DMZ

This handout photo taken on October 12, 2018 and provided by the South Korean Ministry of Environment on May 10, 2019 shows an Asiatic black bear photographed by unmanned ecological research equipment installed in the Demilitarised zone (DMZ) dividing South and North Korea in Gangwon Province. (AFP)
Updated 10 May 2019
0

Rare Asian black bear spotted in Korean DMZ

  • The zone itself is known as one of the few areas where nature is untouched by development, and a haven for wildlife
  • The bear was photographed by an unmanned research camera in October

SEOUL: A rare Asiatic black bear has been photographed in the Demilitarized Zone dividing the two Koreas, Seoul’s environmental ministry said.
The area around the four-kilometer (2.5-mile) wide strip running across the peninsula bristles with minefields and fortifications.
But while it is the world’s last Cold War frontier, the zone itself is known as one of the few areas where nature is untouched by development, and a haven for wildlife.
The bear was photographed by an unmanned research camera in October, Seoul’s environment ministry said.
Although there have been some testimonies by soldiers who said they saw Asian black bears inside DMZ, it is the first time that an image of the animal had been captured in the area, it added.
It was a juvenile estimated to be eight or nine months old and weighing about 25-30 kilograms (55-66 pounds), the National Institute of Ecology said, and was presumed to be living in the DMZ with its parents.
The species — Latin name Ursus thibetanus — is classed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List of endangered species.
More than 5,000 plant and animal species have been identified in the DMZ, including the long-tailed goral wild goat and northern fur seal, according to the South Korean government.
“The latest discovery of the Asiatic black bear once again proves the exceptional ecological value of the DMZ,” said environment ministry official Yoo Seung-gwang.


Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

Updated 24 May 2019
0

Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

  • The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul
  • The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault

NEW YORK: Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has reached a provisional $44 million settlement with alleged victims and creditors, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul, including those in Canada and the United Kingdom.
Weinstein’s spokesperson denied to comment.
The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault, for which he will go on trial in September.
Weinstein — a catalyst for the #MeToo anti-harassment movement — has been charged over the alleged assaults of two women and faces life in prison if he is convicted at the trial, which could last five weeks.
In addition to the alleged victims and creditors, the settlement covers the proceedings started by former New York state attorney general Eric Schneiderman, who has been succeeded by Letitia James.
The proceedings aim specifically to guarantee the alleged victims will be compensated.
James’s spokesperson also declined to comment.
The settlement amount will be paid out by insurance agencies, the Journal reported, several of which count The Weinstein Company, the production company Weinstein co-founded, among their clients.
Since October 2017, Weinstein — one of the most powerful men in Hollywood before a cascade of sexual misconduct allegations precipitated his downfall — has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by more than 80 women.
Among his accusers are prominent actresses such as Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek.