FAKE MEDIA WATCH: Unhealthy rumors put to rest, ministerial misquotes rejected

A weekly round-up of bogus reports and phony facts in the mainstream and social media - this week, Egypt and Palestine. (Shutterstock)
Updated 14 May 2019
0

FAKE MEDIA WATCH: Unhealthy rumors put to rest, ministerial misquotes rejected

LONDON: A weekly round-up of bogus reports and phony facts in the mainstream and social media.

Egypt health ministry puts record straight
Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population has denied rumors that claimed a presidential initiative launched last year to eliminate waiting lists for patients with critical conditions has been annulled.
The rumor claimed that ministry will cancel the waiting list initiative “due to the lack of preparedness of hospitals.”
The ministry stressed that the initiative has been in force since its launch in July 2018, and has continued for three years, in a bid to eliminate waiting lists for patients in critical conditions as soon as possible.

Palestinian minister ‘misquoted’
Palestinian Culture Minister Atef Abu Saif denied “misquoted statements” attributed to him by some Palestinian news outlets from an interview he did with a German newspaper.
Abu Saif released a press statement to Palestinian news outlets in which he clarified that his remarks were taken out of the context in the dialogue.
Reports accused the minister of making remarks that supported relinquishing certain historical Palestinian territory.
Abu Seif said nothing in the interview indicated that, a statement published on news website Donia Al-Watan said.
He also pointed out that some websites “irresponsibly” misquoted statements he made in the interview on Gaza.
“Some of the statements were cut off, and others were taken out of context,” he said in the press release.


Two journalists released in Libya: TV channel

Updated 25 May 2019
0

Two journalists released in Libya: TV channel

  • The capital’s southern suburbs have been the target of an offensive launched April 4 by Khalifa Haftar
  • The release of the television journalists followed local and international condemnation of their detention

TRIPOLI: Two Libyan journalists held by an armed group for more than three weeks have been released, the television channel they work for said Saturday.
“We congratulate the press world for the release of our two colleagues, Mohamad Al-Gurj and Mohamad Al-Chibani, who were kidnapped by Haftar’s forces on May 2 while they were covering the assault on Tripoli,” said the private channel Libya Al-Ahrar, which is based in Turkey.
It said they were freed on Friday.
The capital’s southern suburbs have been the target of an offensive launched April 4 by Khalifa Haftar, military strongman of an eastern administration aimed at seizing Tripoli from an internationally-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA).
At least 510 people have been killed and around 2,500 wounded in the fighting, as well as more than 80,000 displaced, according to UN agencies.
The release of the television journalists followed local and international condemnation of their detention, including from media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
In a press freedom index compiled by RSF, Libya ranks a lowly 162nd out of 180 countries.