Saudi air defense forces intercept 2 Houthi drones

Iran has been accused of supplying drones like the one displayed here after it was seized by coalition forces in Yemen. (File/Conflict Armament Research)
Updated 11 June 2019

Saudi air defense forces intercept 2 Houthi drones

  • The drones were targeted at Saudi Arabia’s southern city of Khamis Mushayt
  • Coalition forces raid Houthi positions in northwestern Yemen

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense forces shot down two weaponized drones launched by Houthis from Yemen toward the city of Khamis Mushayt, a spokesman for the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen’s legitimate government said early Tuesday.

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the attack was part of the continuing attempt by “Houthi terrorists” to target civilian installations in Saudi Arabia.

The statement gave no further details.

Houthi-run Masirah TV reported earlier on Monday that the Iran-aligned Houthi movement had carried out attacks on an airbase near Khamis Mushayt.

Coalition forces raid Houthi positions
In Yemen, coalition fighters intensified overnight air strikes on Houthi positions in the districts of Abes and Haradh in the northwestern province of Hajjah. 

According to the Yemeni Ministry of Defense website, September Net, the air raids targeted the Houthi concentrations west of Haradh city and destroyed the vehicles of the militia. 

The fighters also targeted a vehicle carrying a number of Houthi fighters in the governorate of Abs. 

The coalition led by Saudi Arabia threw its support behind the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in early 2015 amid attacks by the Iran-backed Houthis.


Saudi delegation attends opening of Europe’s largest mosque

Updated 18 min 58 sec ago

Saudi delegation attends opening of Europe’s largest mosque

  • Chechen president hails Kingdom’s support for Islamic unity, moderation
  • Muslim World League (MWL) Secretary-General Dr. Mohammed bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa delivered the Friday sermon

GROZNY: The minister of Islamic affairs, call and guidance headed the Saudi delegation to the opening of what Chechen authorities said is the largest mosque in Europe on Friday.
Upon his arrival at Grozny International Airport, Sheikh Dr. Abdullatif Al-Asheikh said the construction of the Fakhr Al-Muslimeen Mosque is a source of happiness.
The marble-decorated mosque has capacity for more than 30,000 people and has been described by the Chechen authorities as the “largest and most beautiful” mosque in Europe.
The opening was held under the patronage of Chechen President Ramzan Akhmadovich Kadyrov, with the participation of Islamic delegations from a number of countries.
Al-Asheikh was received by Salah Mezhiev, advisor to Kadyrov and Chechnya’s supreme mufti, as well as other officials. Al-Asheikh said Saudi Arabia works hard to spread moderation throughout the Islamic world.
Muslim World League (MWL) Secretary-General Dr. Mohammed bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa delivered the first Friday sermon to be given in the mosque at the request of President Kadyrov.
Kadyrov welcomed the Saudi delegation and congratulated the Kingdom’s leadership on the success of this year’s Hajj season.
He hailed Saudi support for Islamic unity, spreading moderation and combating all forms of violence, extremism and terrorism.
The secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, Dr. Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen, also attended the opening of the mosque.
The mosque's grounds, planted with flowers and sprinkled with fountains, can host an additional 70,000 worshippers, local authorities said.